Black Mountain Clay And Matt Glaze

Tikiman

SF State MFA student here. I'm researching matt glazes to use with Black Mountain Clay. I have found some with good results but, need more variety. I'm open to various colors within a matt finish. I know that some shino glazes work well but need to try something new. I like a shino that will give a nice orange at one or two coats to off white or cream when thinkened. Plus, blues and greens would be well reieved as well. Please let me know all you can about this. Thank you.

I use Black Mountain with an eggshell glaze that comes out a matte cream color, with purplish/pinkish tints in places. It also come out speckled from the iron. I love it. It plays great against the relative sheen of the unglazed Black Mountain at ^10 reduction. 

I can post pictures when I get home and ask about the glaze at the studio I work at if you'd like to know. 

I just made my wedding present for my partner out of black mountain Clay and tried about 24 variations of 4 different shines on it.

I can tell you the one I liked the most and provide photos of some of the test tiles if you like.

If we Like?.........

Of course we are going to like, get those photos taken and posted.   :)

I just started using a bag of black mountain clay..looking forward to seeing more pictures on this thread! I haven't quite figure out how I want to decorate my pieces yet. Will have to see if there are any test tiles at the studio..or make some of my own :)

I just made my wedding present for my partner out of black mountain Clay and tried about 24 variations of 4 different shines on it.

I can tell you the one I liked the most and provide photos of some of the test tiles if you like.

Did said partner, make something for you as well?  Was that the arrangement, as opposed to buying each other gifts?

I wanted to make a ceramic wedding cake topper, when I got married.  Unfortunately, I was fresh out of college, so I didn't have the resources.  Then my ten year anniversary came along, and had the idea to do it then.  Sadly that idea popped into my head, with almost no time to actually follow through.  Maybe down the road... If I remember...

Time for photos!

I've got more at higher resolutions up in a Picasa album here: Shino Test Tiles

Tiles 1,2,3,4

Tiles 6,7,8,9,10

Tiles 11,12,13,14,15

Tiles 15,17,16

The small cups in front of some of the tiles are the same glaze as the tile behind it, but fired flat. 

A lot of these are slight variations from John Britt's high-fire glaze book. One or two I think came from these boards. 

But, if anyone has questions about method / recipes / whatnot, definitely let me know. I really love this clay, it's my favorite I've ever worked with...

Too bad I don't have my own ^10rx kiln to work with it all the time! :angry:  Womp womp.

That color on that body is excellent! The darkest my clay body gets, is when I Raku it...

What makes a bowl, a "pasta bowl"?

And Old Lady, you may be right. It's one of my project ideas, that I want to do, but keep putting off/ forgetting about. I didn't wven make my wife anything "ceramic" for the yearly specific material gifts. But We have never followed that anyway. I did make my friend one for his wife though.

• 7 months later...

Time for photos!

I've got more at higher resolutions up in a Picasa album here: Shino Test Tiles

The small cups in front of some of the tiles are the same glaze as the tile behind it, but fired flat. 

A lot of these are slight variations from John Britt's high-fire glaze book. One or two I think came from these boards. 

But, if anyone has questions about method / recipes / whatnot, definitely let me know. I really love this clay, it's my favorite I've ever worked with...

Too bad I don't have my own ^10rx kiln to work with it all the time! :angry:  Womp womp.

Love the results of your test tiles.  My question and you probably said this but did you fire cone 10 reduction which white matt glaze recipe did you use?  Thanks!

• 8 months later...

I'm sculpting with black mountain clay. I'm in a ceramics class at the community college. They have a certain selection of glazes to pick from. What glazes can anyone recommend ? Hopefully they will have it available for cone 10 firing. Thanks! 

it is usually safer to ask the people directly involved with the class.  they are going to make sure that students do not do anything to ruin their kiln, shelves or anything else in their studio.  follow their advice, even if you don't like the selection of glazes available.  if you are a student, it is part of learning.  later, when you know more, you can experiment in your own studio.

Archived