Community Challenge Idea

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We had the 12 " with 3 lb challenge, that did not require any voting, just being able to. Challenges like double walled vase or teapot may leave many out. However it could be a Master challenge. Other challenges might be to create/design and make a Hunan cooker, or a casserole 12" in diameter, a salsa chip set, all inclusive honey jar, set of matched bowls or mugs, or even a serving set.  Thematic challenges could be done with something like an alligator pot, or fowl bowl, or fishy mug-something fun or pun.

I think what I am getting at here is that you could make the challenges at a moderate level so that all could be involved, and then on occasion add in a challenge that would make even the more experienced potters sweat a little. This could be done by size, intricacies, off shoot of approach, or some other twist that would make them work a little harder. Isn't that what a challenge is all about? Come to think of it, challenges could even involve clay bodies, glazes or other technical aspects of the craft.

I thought it would be easiest to start it on the 1st of Feb, I also feel like I need permission from an admin  :ph34r: otherwise I am starting up a secret club  B)

Don't worry, "big brother" already knows.  After a three page discussion, with 50+ comments, there are no secrets in the community. 

For the first one I wasn't even thinking about being specific with the form or process to have a sort of practice run and see what entries come in. After that more moderate challenges with varying amounts of rules for technique, form, colour etc. I don't want to make up every challenge, been thinking about how we could pass the baton between forum members to give variety, or have suggestions to pick from. 

The 12" challenge didn't really need a vote as you could either do it in three pulls or not.

I still really want to have a way to vote for your favourite entry. I feel you are not winning anything for having the most people thinking your entry is their favourite and vice versa. It is a friendly acknowledgement to your favourite entry.

I also don't want to exclude people who are put off by voting but I hope that by having the question "Which entry is your favourite" it would not put anybody off from entering. Instead of voting it shall be called a community consensus as I feel that is a better description anyway.

Can we have a seperate page just for the photos? Start a topic that says enter your photo here.  Everyone submit 1 image of their work with a discription of  how it pertains to the topic that was picked.  I'm by no means as advanced as some on here, but I still think this is a fun idea.

I thought it would be easiest to start it on the 1st of Feb, I also feel like I need permission from an admin  :ph34r: otherwise I am starting up a secret club  B)

Don't worry, "big brother" already knows.  After a three page discussion, with 50+ comments, there are no secrets in the community. 

I thought we once agreed to stop being sarcastic here?

The first contest should be something pretty simple, since we are just starting out.  "Self Portrait" or something along those lines, might be a nice way for everyone to get to know each other.  Obviously, it's just the theme, so it wouldn't even have to depict an image of yourself at all.  It could just be something that strongly represents you.

Who can, Marcia? I'm not a potters council member.

Diesel,

Potters Council members benefits include your studio listing in the directory as well as have 3 photos in the Artists Gallery. They can be updated. You can also enter the juried show annually, enter the calendar competitions for a number of calendars on different techniques. Go to the ceramic Arts Daily page, go to Potters Council and scroll down to benefits. There are also discounts on books, dvd, subscriptions for Ceramics Monthly and Pottery Making Illustrated. There are health insurance benefits, freight discounts, etc. All for a very low price.

Marcia

I suggest all users here join up. I have been a member for a very long time. The shipping benefits alone pay the membership fees many times over.My UPS  shipping rate is 20% off if I recall.

The more the merrier-they host great workshops around the country as well. If you subscribe to the ceramic magazines your membership again will pay for itself with the discounts.

How can you go wrong? At least consider it as it really is a great deal.

Mark

Guest JBaymore

If you are considering joining the Potters Council (or are already a member) and are attending the Providence NCECA....... please join us for the Members Reception.  It is open to prospective members too. 

Watch for announcements of the exact times and festivities and how to get involved.  Please also note that there will be an RSVP aspect to attending it.... we need to know roughly how many folks will be there to facilitate planning. 

And you will NOT need to have an NCECA paid pass to attend that event.  If you are just hanging out in Providence and doing some "gallery hopping" and are not an official NCECA attendee.... you can still stop by the reception.

Thanks for the unsolicited "plug"  there Mark.  In addition to my past 2 years as President and then 2 years as Vice President ("Chairperson" name change technically happened after I was in the position of VP ;) ) I'm a Charter member of longstanding.  Another couple "big picture" aspects of being a member of Potters Council is the networking and the sense of community, and also an important one....... helping to "support" the broader field of promoting and maintaining studio ceramists.

best,

..............................john

I have to play Devil's Advocate on this. (I personally probably should have a membership)

The Potter's Council is a body largely (but not exclusively) for professional development.

There are a number of Forum members who are not professionals, or would not get sufficient value out of a membership.

$52 a year is a lot of money to participate in a fun challenge.

I think the challenge idea is strictly for free on this forum -really not part of the Potters Council's  membership

I may have this wrong as I have not read all 4 pages of comments.

But as this forum is open to anyone so would be the challenge idea or thats my take.

Now lets talk about the devil I have always liked the horns and tail and been a stones fan as well.

mark

I second that not everybody joining in the challenge must be a PC member. It should be for free.

Having said all this, I highly recommend to get involved and to get a membership some time. I say that even living in Switzerland and Italy, means we here over the pond cannot profit from the same benefits as Americans can. But that's something PC is aware of and is revising.

For the challange: how about building a group/team of, say, 3 persons who organise the challange? Everybody can send them a p.m. with ideas and they decide among the group what the next theme will be. We will all accept the theme without lamenting! Maybe we can ask admin if we can have the thread, how do you say, adhere?, stick? to the top of the topics?

Evelyne 

Sharing an idea with @High Bridge Pottery is as easy as mousing over the member's name in the shaded bar atop any post...and selecting Send Message.  I'd bet that good suggestions will get a fair shake as this thing moves along.  Let's give this project a shot and see how it goes with the suggested February 1st start...if it grows into something bigger and needs more organizational support there looks to be enough interest that finding helpers/committee/team people shouldn't be a problem.

AND...join the Potter's Council when you can.  There may be bigger ceramic organizations, but I see PC as being the most active, engaging, and supportive group of/for ceramics' people anywhere!

-Paul

Archived