Community Challenge Idea

What about an opt-in, or opt-out for the voting? That way people can put something up and participate, sort of like a warm up, but if they're feeling vulnerable, they don't have to subject themselves to something they don't feel ready for.

Edit: The hardest part will be finding a topic most people are interested in. lol that could be nearly impossible.

I say throw down something, preferably something a bit vague. A notion, a quote, a small article, an image. We're creative. We can wrap our beady little brainboxes around a lot of things. The point is to generate ideas, yes?

What about having the vote be for who should choose the next topic?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

im ALL IN but i really do not like the top 3 by voting- Everybody likes to win , KNOWONE likes to lose.. That could take this idea and effort into the silt so to speak...

I think it should have a "Gallery" type venue thread.. Imagine this, the Gallery asks for people to make something under a certain theme and us clay maniacs make something and post our pictures to the Gallery for everyone to enjoy.. I have always enjoyed going to the gallery and seeing so many pieces of art, know one loses but everyone who views the Gallery wins!!!!... Maybe a person has 2 ideas and makes 2 pieces to submit? or even 3? It seems more open and friendly that way...

Why not do it like a "pot in the hat" type exchange?  This happens a lot in other artistic communities I'm a part of.  Theme decided on, everyone goes to work on it, and then someone draws names to see which pot goes to whom.  It's good motivation to make the best pot you can make, but non-competitive, and everyone gets something out of it at the end.  

I think one thread to state the challenge and where everybody posts their pictures and then after the time frame another thread as a one post collection of all the entries. I understand that people could feel hurt over the voting so we can remove that part.

The pot exchange is a nice idea but the logistics of sending them around the world is complicated.

I will have a think and come up with a mock up format. Could try it at the start of February. 

thought this was what the new works in gallery were about??

Married to bolts happily for the last 17 years or to a person? TJR ;)

No, I am actually married to a woman-for 17 years. Was my modifier that misplaced???

TJR. :huh:

I don't mean to put down those that don't want a vote but I guess I just don't understand how voting would take away from it. To the contrary I am having trouble seeing how its going to really get legs without it. Seems like your going to get a little interest at first and folks will drop off as the whole board is about advice and input and we have a gallery for those that want to show their work and get feedback.

With voting and the listing of the top three (obviously folks have to be barred from voting for themselves or u will have a 300 person tie) artist can get the best feedback of all when enough peers vote for your work. The reason it might work so well on this board is because it has critical mass ur not going to get by simply starting something similar on a website.

Not coming in at the top should not be demoralizing to anyone as there are a lot of great potters in this community and this is a fun way to toss in your best and see how its received without putting anything on the line at all. 

I'd do that every so often if I thought a pot really worked out well but no I would never toss work up here in this format and see what everyone has to say about it. The opinions might/would run all over the place and would probably confuse me more than help me. Like Chris said, whenever a thread goes that way it almost always goes/ends badly for someone. This is just not the right format for that to work well.

Great idea, hope it works out, good luck with it!

Vote doesn't have to be about what are the 'best pieces'.

It can be votes on a spectrum of things like : 'most creative take on the theme', 'most functional piece', 'newbie piece of the month', 'most spectacular fail' (<we'd learn a lot from that one with a little humor)… you name it. It can be fun and out of the box.

Just a thought. 

Vote doesn't have to be about what are the 'best pieces'.

It can be votes on a spectrum of things like : 'most creative take on the theme', 'most functional piece', 'newbie piece of the month', 'most spectacular fail' (<we'd learn a lot from that one with a little humor)… you name it. It can be fun and out of the box.

Just a thought. 

That seems like a great solution dom!

I'm all for this idea.

I think the contest could be done, based on a theme as suggested (Technology, Nature, Self-Portrait, etc).  Or more of a specific technique, sgraffito, brushed illustrations, etc.

The voting is not meant to be a way of putting people in competition with each other but a way to show appreciation to your favourite piece from the challenge. The top three as a nice way to archive the most liked pieces from the challenge.

I can see that I have this viewpoint because I am me, I don't know how other people feel and I don't want to create a lot of negative feelings over who voted for who or that you didn't get a vote.

I think the forum only has the ability to have one poll per topic and one vote per person so the categories would be difficult.

I am worried about how we can all get the images posted. 500kb is probably enough for an entry but what happens when everybody starts hitting their memory limit? How can they all be edited into one post so you can scroll through all the entries?

There is plenty of scope for ideas and having more specific criteria to get us all doing some new techniques. The first one at least should be quite open to interpretation. 

The voting is not meant to be a way of putting people in competition with each other but a way to show appreciation to your favorite piece from the challenge. . 

What's wrong with a friendly competition. It's not a critique where anyone's feelings should be hurt, just a win or better luck next time. Regardless of whether you're a hobbyist or a pro we all sell/give pots to other people so we compete everyday anyway and all of our best pots should be completive. Granted people that are brand new are not likely to enter but that's OK isn't it. It's something they can keep an eye on and when they get their first racer out of the kiln they can happily fire off a picture for the latest contest.    

I like this idea, and as a (very) amateur potter, I do like the idea of a vote.  After all each of us have different taste and standards.  Even a "draft" version of a great idea could "beat" a perfectly executed version of a dull idea.

I know there wasn't any voting involved, but there has already been a competition here, not one that I could even think of entering as my throwing is naff and my pulling is non-existent.  (12 inch club).

So, YES, I like the idea of a quarterly theme-based competition.

How about these themes for ideas:

Something for a child's window (windowsill or hanging)

A fantasy plaque 

An ugly mug

A three-legged.........

Something to represent world peace

The sun was shining into my studio this afternoon,  I'm happy as I've had mucky hands all day, I could agree with any pottery suggestion or ideas!

I've been watching this thread since it was first posted, looking forward to participating.  I love the idea of a quarterly challenge, with people posting pictures of their ideas throughout the quarter.  I have participated in a similar idea with photography and found I was inspired and motivated by others ideas.  It was always, "Oh, I love that.  What if I did such and such?", using it as a jumping off point.

I, like many others here, do not like competition.  I am very intimidated by it.  I am an unaccomplished potter by any stretch of the imagination and would not like to be pitted against another potter let alone the caliber of potter represented here.  However, I believe I do sometimes have good ideas.  I am not always able to take them to fruition and I tend to do many iterations of a theme before I burn out on it or come up with another that inspires me.  With a quarterly challenge, the early ideas submitted could serve as that jumping off point for others.  Maybe, like me, the idea doesn't work out in the end but leads to more experimenting on the part of the original potter and/or others.  And, if your work is fired at a community studio, like mine is, you are subject to their firing schedule may not have a completed work in time to meet the deadline, so I'd like to see "in process" pictures welcomed as well as the completed masterpieces.

So, while I don't like the idea of competition I do like the idea of a challenge.  Could there be two different threads?  Those who want to "compete" could submit their pieces to the competition thread and others who just want to challenge and be inspired, could submit their pieces to a separate challenge thread.  Topics or themes could be the same for both, it seems to me.  And if someone from the challenge thread decides their masterpiece is worthy of competition, they have that option, too.

I really like what Georgia wrote above:  "I love the idea of a quarterly challenge, with people posting pictures of their ideas throughout the quarter.  I have participated in a similar idea with photography and found I was inspired and motivated by others ideas.  It was always, "Oh, I love that.  What if I did such and such?", using it as a jumping off point... So, while I don't like the idea of competition I do like the idea of a challenge."

I disagree about setting up two different threads, though.  UNITY should be the goal here, right?  I've exhibited at enough Florida shows where Saturday night's exhibitor party was the stage for announcing who won "Best in Show", etc. to know that competition does not bring crafts people closer.  After six or seven of those parties, I decided I'd had enough of looking at a hundred sad, injured, bitter, jealous faces alongside three or four happy ones.  The first time I boycotted one of those parties, I won "Best in Show" along with a check for $1500.  I was so glad that I found out about it the next day from friends who were genuinely happy for me instead of in a group of craftspeople with half of them resentfully suspecting I bribed the judge!  Even at those shows where skill levels were fairly consistent, competition created more negative feelings than positive ones, and I just don't think competition is appropriate in a forum like this with all skill levels represented.  Surely there must be a way to do this without judgment.  Comments, praise - yes, but judgments, ratings, rankings - I don't think they're conducive to the kind of support this forum is known for.

Jayne

I'd like to see a gallery slot for the C"Challenge" rather than a members gallery. That way it would be easy to see many images on a screen. Going through pages of individual posts would be difficult to refer to pervious images.I think quarterly is also a good period of time. Many are busy working on other projects, etc.

Marcia

I agree Isculpt that we shouldn't split the results. It seems quite an even spread between having the vote or not so I don't really know which would be best. 

Going to have to work on a good way of collecting all the entries together so a gallery could be a nice way Marcia.

Quarterly sounds the right amount of time for everybody.

Nice ideas Chilly  ^_^ I also wish my throwing was up to entering the 12"club. 

For the first challenge I am feeling something quite open and easily accessible like 'The Sky'

How many of us are on Instagram? A hashtag would be very easy to check, and if we're workingwith phones, it makes uploading images crazy easy. We could post links in the forum here to specific pieces, I think, to keep some continuity. I know its not here, but we won't be reinventing any wheels.

How many of us are on Instagram? A hashtag would be very easy to check, and if we're workingwith phones, it makes uploading images crazy easy. We could post links in the forum here to specific pieces, I think, to keep some continuity. I know its not here, but we won't be reinventing any wheels.

I suspect (from other reading threads) that not enough use Instagram.  I don't have a Smartphone, and you can't use it if you don't have a Smartphone, at least, that was the info I got last time I tried/asked.

Maybe set-up a Facebook group for storing photos?

Archived