What Is Your Biggest Plan , Dream Or Goal For 2015

I want to put together a video set of my processes that would substitute for an in person workshop. I think it would take at least three, maybe four months to plan and execute ... the last video person I talked to said my studio was too small to set up all his lighting etc. and I certainly don't feel like doing it in my living room! Or maybe I could just hire someone to video tape my next workshop??

The cold weather has made me want to have a plan for improving the heat in the shop. After forum postings, I think this Summer I will have propane put in for the shop as it seems I always have a bit of work to do in November and December.

I also hope to get to more conferences this year if time allows.

Like Pres is thinking, I upgraded my shop heater this fall with a larger gas line and a 50,000 BTU ceiling mount heater.  But with the 19 degrees this morning I'm not going out there.  For a semi-hobby potter I did very well last year.  Sold over 250 pieces of functional stoneware.  Like everyone else I'm always on the lookout for a new item to keep everything fresh.  Going to finally convert an old kiln to a raku kiln and give that a try.  Not to sure how these items will sell in my town.  We are more of a meat ,potatoes, and Bud Light community.   One of my best sellers:

To make a million dollars worth of mugs.

That works out to 152 $25 mugs a day, 5 days a week. I've read that the average production potter is expected to do this so I figure its a good first rung on my career ladder.   

next years goal?

To sell a million dollars worth of mugs.

(I'm 6 days in and slightly off pace) 

#1. Enroll in college pottery course.......

Made it through late admissions......

Now on waiting list.........

#2. Build or buy atmospheric kiln..... Hopefully wood....... If not , gas will do...

# get better! faster, Find a stronger voice in my work......

Nonpottery related: i am building a cattery to house some ferals...they were fine outside til a coyotee showed up and started killing kittens, i trapped all i could but feral cats inside my house is not optimal.

Pottery related: my father passed 14 months ago. Leaving his 2 bay garage full of trash, rats, roaches and spiders and tools. We got rid of the rats and trash. I cleaned up and organized the tools. Its still a mess but i'd like to turn it into my studio. It has no ceiling, no finished walls, no insulation, the floor is grease stained, there is an unfinished bathroom in the corner...unfinished as in pipes sticking out of the floor...there is a working sink. My kilns are already out there as he had 220 for his welder...the garage was for building swamp buggies and trailers to haul them. It is likely a multiyear project, this year if i could get it cleaned and debugged and a wall built to make a kiln room i would be hugely happy.

I am plan to build a 20 x 25' pottery workshop and consolidate all the pottery related items.   Planning to build a

27 - 30 cf gas kiln in one end, with  a studio at the other.  The city is tearing down a block of BRICK buildings, and

I plan to see about getting enough, (if possible) to build a salt kiln.

The only new technique I've decided to try was to add a teaspoon of baby to my throwing water to see

if the pulls will improve and last longer.  I think it works but the real jury is still out.  Will know more about it later.

Sad news Wednesday.  My favorite coffee cup, (16oz.) of 7 years jumped off the counter and smashed onto the floor.

No warning and no notes left.  I washed it twice a year, if it needed it or not.  I'm not superstitious but, I thought

something like that would have happened next week, when Friday the 13th falls on Tuesday this month. :)

Alabama

Well, one thing on my bucket list is: going to NCECA at least 1x in my life. Flight is booked, conference and hotel too, so Providence I'am coming!!!!

What else? A heating system in my basement studio (cellar). I have to persuade my husband first though, because one part of my studio is also his wine cellar B)

Happy New Year to you all. May all your wishes come true!

Evelyne

Nonpottery related: i am building a cattery to house some ferals...they were fine outside til a coyotee showed up and started killing kittens, i trapped all i could but feral cats inside my house is not optimal.

Pottery related: my father passed 14 months ago. Leaving his 2 bay garage full of trash, rats, roaches and spiders and tools. We got rid of the rats and trash. I cleaned up and organized the tools. Its still a mess but i'd like to turn it into my studio. It has no ceiling, no finished walls, no insulation, the floor is grease stained, there is an unfinished bathroom in the corner...unfinished as in pipes sticking out of the floor...there is a working sink. My kilns are already out there as he had 220 for his welder...the garage was for building swamp buggies and trailers to haul them. It is likely a multiyear project, this year if i could get it cleaned and debugged and a wall built to make a kiln room i would be hugely happy.

PSC;

Sounds perfect. You have a couple of things going for you- you have 220 for your kiln and you have water for glazing and washing.

More to come.

TJR.

You could pour a concrete floor, then wire and insulate. Then you are laughing.

Enjoy your space.

T.

I decided to work on my throwing skills at the beginning of the new year and I have been practicing.  My throwing isn't as bad as I thought it would be but I now remember why I wasn't crazy about it, my big hands are always getting in the way.  I have only met a few men who have bigger hands than me, I'm going to keep practicing for a while.  I have a fountain with shattered tiles I need to replace this spring, back to making tiles.   Denice

Chris: I'am so looking forward to NCECA (but I first have to conquer my fear of flying... yuck!!)

Problem with the wine cellar can be solved in drinking the wine continuously  ;) 

Evelyne

YOU can do it!

Remember that every minute of every day somewhere planes are taking off and landing without incident. Pilots and flight attendants retire after careers of non eventful flights.

If that does not help ... There is always that wine supply you are trying to get rid of ......

alabama, i thought  i posted this several days ago. (it is meant as a joke so i do not think anyone would have taken it down because it was insulting.)  but there are times i think i have put something here and realize i did not hit the black POST.

i just wanted to know what teaspoonful of baby you would use in your throwing water.  a finger or two, maybe toes, and ear?    :rolleyes:

Today is my first day back at the studio...I'm excited :) For 2015, I hope to become better at documenting my work while it's in progress. My previous instructors have always suggested keeping a notebook, but I never ended up being very diligent about keeping it with me at the studio (I usually forgot it at home or in the car). I plan to use it to refine the form of my pieces and to keep track of which glazes worked and which didn't. I bought a new notebook over Christmas and signed up for a membership at a local studio (which gives me a locker at the studio, amongst other things) and will keep the notebook there! So hopefully there are no excuses not to use it now!

I never make resolutions-not my cup of tea. I'm a workaholic should I wish for more work or what???

My goal is to slow down with clay gradually and I'm on target-trying to cut a show for next year at least.

I have had this goal for a few years now and have cut 12 shows down to 8-next year 7.

On the flip side my local sales have upticked

I'm stuck at a certain amount of clay past few years moving thru shop and would like this to be a little less in the future.

I cleaned the shop out yesterday and will start back in less than two weeks with clay.sponged all horizontal surfaces washed wareboards. Stacked bats.

Its a bit of a heat wave with almost 70 degree daytime temps this weekend-mowed the side 1/2 arcre today as well.

done some steelhead fishing close by this past week as well.

Meanwhile I'm almost done with fruit tree pruning and will need to spary the trees with dormant oil.

Also have a big plumbng job under house putting in a recurculating hot water system to save water.Parts come in the next week.

Just installed a 1,100 gallon rainwater catchment tank for garden use in drought summers.

I'm about ontrack for work during my break from studio work.

I did put some new one piece aluminum gutters on clay shed and kiln shed a few days ago.

I have a few projects left that may have to wait. seems 6 weeks off is not quite enough.

I need to learn to relax I'm told so maybe thats the thing.

Mark

I have a keen interest in feral cats too.  I have used the pallets from my clay deliveries to make structures so the cats have protection and a safe lounging area (grown cats can climb trees ... these are for the kittens).   A swamp is right behind my area and there are coyotes there as well.    I have 2 more closer to the woods that are stacked higher. (12 or so pallets)   It's too wet or I would walk down there and get a photo.  Just nailed the top one to a tree and they have never fallen.   You stack two open sides together and it gives the cats plenty of room.   As you can see, the cats love them.   I have 5 different stacks of pallets  and there are always cats hanging around in them.   All the cats in this photo are feral .. can't get closer than 6 feet to them.  I have over 20 ferals here now (all neutered). 

post-8500-0-14821300-1422403331_thumb.jpg

post-8500-0-14821300-1422403331_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Well my goal for 2015 is to come up with one. Here it is May and my main focus has been getting ready for a June show. Most of the stuff is done (two larger pieces left to glaze and fire and bases for sculptures to finish up etc).  for the rest of the year maybe I will resolve to try a new technique - like obvara - and come up with some interesting projects for intro clay class.  doesn't sound too ambitious.  oh well.  rakuku

Archived