Our First Show ...

We have found a  consistent promoter  to work with.. They have a event every other month at the fair and expo. center and the traffic is stellar.. The lowest show expected turn out is 13k to 15k and its in March . the highest is 50k+ in Dec. close to home and reasonable booth prices with tables at 10 a pop...they run fri. sat. sun. with a extra day on the big events. 

We enjoy meeting and talking with people and just having a good time, its not really about money because were not going to get rich from it any ways lol... i figure its a good experience for us both and something to look forward to.. i think were going to take pots like in the pictures and coffee cups/mugs sponge holders Cindys Tea pots etc. not sure if full dining sets will do good or not? scared they would be priced to high for the venue type "flea market style". Our big art show venue costs $500 a booth, not sure i want to dive into that ..

Does anyone do good selling yarn bowls? look like they would be fun to make. 

post-64659-0-11937600-1420558793_thumb.jpg

post-64659-0-19602800-1420558936_thumb.jpg

post-64659-0-11937600-1420558793_thumb.jpg

post-64659-0-19602800-1420558936_thumb.jpg

Yarn bowls will sell if you have yarn people at the venue. You will onlu know by taking some.

I was in the aroma therapy slip business in the 90's and I will add they are not big sellers-stick to more functional items like mugs/bowls.

Dinnerware sells but its slow-I sell flatware usually because nobody has it at shows anymore I feel.

Mark

Crusty

My bowl sizes are

small baby bowls-less than 1#more like 3/4 or 1/2-these are very small with trimmed feet

other sizes are

1 1/2#

2#

3#

4#

6#

8$

10#

12#

18#

24#

I like to have all size bowls

I have piles of cereal sizes and lots of meduim sizes and 1 or two huge bowls as well

what sells best is 1/1/2 or 2# size

with meduims next.

I give my customers a huge selection-thats always worked best for me

mugs are in that top seller group as well as spoon rests and sponge holders-bowls are not as popular as those items.

The list of top sellers will be differeant for each potter and what they make.

Mark

If you have not already visited one of the events, do so and take notes on what the other potters are selling (and how many other potters are selling). Then think about what items are not being offered that folks might be interested in buying. If there are a dozen potters there and everyone is selling the same selection of items, you are going to need to figure out a way to make your pottery stand out from the others and make customers come back to your booth after they have seen what everyone else is offering.

Thanks, they are fun to make.. The lil jug shrunk alot more than i thought it would, going to make more of them... i like making mugs and just about any functional ware.. spoon holders are pretty fast and really easy. sponge holders , the same...  i been getting my measurements down for coffee pots as replacements, the one we have dont pour unless you go super slow... 

I'm just a hobby thrower and use my local xmas craft fare to clear my shelves so I can make more pieces. I usually sell around $400 and only take a table full of stuff. I live in a very small town so I imagine in a more populous area you could probably move a lot more.

Some pieces are harder to let go than others.

-Brian

Yea were hobby potters as well Brian. I know what you mean about clearing shelves.. Me and my fiance throw together so space goes fast... we will probably have enough for 2.5 to 3 tables but were just going with 1 table and will keep the table full with boxed ware...  not really sure what to expect just yet...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived