Does This Happen To You?

Do you have friends, relatives and friends of friends  that visit your house and demand to know how much pieces cost, that are NOT for sale? Pieces that you have adopted as your own and love? I make armadillos and spend tons of time on their expressions and postures. They are my babies.... I especially don't want to sell them. (Some of them.)

What about friends who want to sell your seconds that should have been smashed? I figure they are good for experimenting.

This keeps happening to me. I don't want to sell certain things and I sure as hell don't want to make up some arbitrary price to get rid of them.

One of them had a price tag on it for 65 bucks. (I could part with that one.) This woman at my house said I will give you 30 dollars out of my purse... I said NO. I finally sold it to her for 50 bucks but it really annoyed me. It annoyed me a whole lot less after she hand knitted a gorgeous sweater for me... I did trade her a lot of pottery though for the sweater.

I digress.

Saying, these things are NOT for sale doesn't seem to help. I don't want crappy pottery with my name on it out there in the public. I figure what I want to sell is my business.

Maybe those nasty mugs and stuff should be used to throw at people??

Can you tell this has happened very recently??

B

Hmmmm .... Friends!?!

Those are part of my private collection.

It's pointless to give you a price since they are not for sale.

Those are not for sale. Period.

As for your seconds, hide them. If you can't bear to destroy them at least keep them hidden so they don't get the opportunity to sneak off and haunt you in later life.

If all else fails, offer to buy things around their house when you visit. : > )

Pots in my home are not for sale.Done deal

People will push you and you need to learn to say NO and mean it-Everything does not have a price in my world maybe it does for you maybe not??If if its not for sale thats a done deal.

You are sending mixed message when you sell a not for sale item from your home. If you cut a deal once they will always want a deal.

I have pots on kilns and in home and customers have asked about the-I always say not for sale and thats it.

Its really all up to you.

Distroy your seconds if you feel its an issue.

Mark

I have a great line to use tho sadly it won't work for everyone...

"Thats one of the few pieces that survived the hurricane that destoryed my studio in 2004, i could never part with it"

But find your own natural desaster and apply it when neccessary.

I agree with Mark. Stuff in my home is not for sale. I put things by in my studio for shows or just to look at. people seem to gravitate to these hidden gems. I sometimes sell them. Most of the time not. I smash my seconds with a hammer. Very therapeutic.

TJR.

I took one of my dogs to obedience training. The instructor of the class told me I was a push over and it was no wonder my dogs don't listen to me.

I told one of the "friends" in an email that when I was having a show, I would let her know so she could bring her friend over. That way I didn't say NO but I did draw a line.

I will in the future tell people in no uncertain terms that the stuff in my house is MINE ALLLL MINE and not for sale.

That better work.

Thanks for the advice people!

I find a firm "No," and a subject change does the trick. Don't leave the door open for discussion, and don't sell your seconds. You will cringe every time you see them. I also kind of like Chris's idea about offering to buy their stuff out of their homes. It frames the fact that this friend of yours is being inappropriate and rude for them. I sympathize. I have certain family members that require firm boundaries set when it comes to making off with my pots!

Having nifty art from yourself or other artists about the house is one of the job perks we get. You shouldn't feel obliged to part with your home's decor just because you happened to make it.

Hmmmm .... Friends!?!

Those are part of my private collection.

It's pointless to give you a price since they are not for sale.

Those are not for sale. Period.

As for your seconds, hide them. If you can't bear to destroy them at least keep them hidden so they don't get the opportunity to sneak off and haunt you in later life.

If all else fails, offer to buy things around their house when you visit. : > )

Cris,

I love the last thought. That seems like it could be fun. "Say, how much for this couch?" "I like these wine glasses...how much?"

You gave me a nice chuckle on my first day back in the office.

Thank you,

Marc

Hehe, I guess I'm lucky in this respect. My friends and family kniw that unless an item is specifically marked as being for sale, don't ask. I also generally keep all my "seconds" as pottery for my own personal crockery to use around the house, because I work so dang slow and don't "usually" end up with many of them. :) Fred and the kiln gods have been kind! ♥

The pieces in my house are really REALLY expensive?

I taught a class recently. One of the best things I did and taught was.. Started the bucket or broken dreams.... And teaching that trashing a piece is a good thing...... Most found great release in crashing a piece. Who would have known a hammer would become a great pottery tool. I was quite happy to throw out a full 5 gal bucket of shards. Minimizing seconds.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived