I am trying to plan a trip to Japan, and I want to know what the best regions to visit for ceramics?  I want to try and do some studio vists and meet some Japanese potters and see traditional Japanese potters.  If any one can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Joe

HNNNNNGHHHHHH...

SO...JEALOUS...

I have wanted to go to Japan for twenty years. Do you have any idea how much CUTE KAWAII RODENT STUFF is over there?! Not to mention the glory-halleluja POTTERY. Japanese illustration is a huge influence in my work. I want to make a pilgrimage to the Tsubaki Grand Shrine, too! :)

I once did a google search on residencies in Japan. They have some seriously epic wood-fire workshops I'd DIE to attend. When are you planning on going? Omg a Japanese ceramics tour...

Tottemo dai suki desuuuu!! ^_^

Guest JBaymore

I tried to post a very long answer here yesterday... but since I've switched to Internet Explorer 11........ I'm having problems wit this forum and often lose stuff.  Sorry.  Not time to retype it all then.

best,

...............john

John, why bother with Internet Explorer?  Chrome works extremely well, especially if you are using Gmail or Google Docs, and Firefox was my go to browser, before Chrome came out.

Microsoft seems to have been playing catch up with Mozilla and Google, in the browser department, for years.  The only difference is, the other browsers work better than Microsoft's...

Guest JBaymore

I LIKE Internet Explorer.. and don't like Chrome.  And I know IE very well.

At the moment I only do short replies.  In case I lose them.  Only happening on this forum.

best,

............john

I started with Internet Explorer, like many others I suppose, but once I found accessible programs, that performed better/ smoother, I opted for them.

Now, the only time I use Explorer, is when I get a new machine, and have to use it, to do a search and download for another browser.  

What a shame with the posts :( What is happening? I guess if you knew the answer it could be solved  :unsure: Does it happen in both the quick reply and more reply options?

EDIT

After doing a bit of searching it seems lots of people are having some problems with the new IE. My best guess would be that IE is trying to auto complete something because of the way the code is with this website. Try turning off any auto complete settings.

There also might be a way to emulate an older version of IE if you look through the options.

I have never liked any Microsoft products. They always seem temperamental. If I didn't have to pay over double the price for a mac I would be on their OS all the time.

I switched to Chrome for a different reason, but now don't find it that much "different" to IE for general searching and stuff.  It is faster and more stable tho'

I do use Word for typing long/considered/multi-edited posts, then paste them in here, as I don't trust the forum to hold onto what I've typed, especially when I want to refer back to an earlier post/thread.  And Word's autocorrect/dictionary is better too......

In the back of the book

The Japanese Pottery Handbook-the new updated version 2014

on page 114 -127 there ARE MUSUEUMS and maps with main pottery places all over Japan. Now some of this is outdated but worth a look and there are a bunch of internet web addresses for just what you are looking forin the back of book as its just been updated.

I would get this book as I did on Amazon last week (pretty cheap-under 15$)

Mark

sorry to hear about your issues John with this forum-(we seem to all have had them at various times)

Mine where mac stuff.

Guest JBaymore

Joe,

When are you going?

best,

....................john

PS:  A second ago I typed that same thing above........ and as I was typing...... I was back on the main forum page.  Then I tried to post it... and the green box with the moving dots came up... and hung.

Guest JBaymore

Joe,

OK that gives some time for me to solve my Internet Explorer 11 forum posting issues.  Otherwise I keep this stuff short..... too much of a pain to lose stuff after investing the time.

I can tell you that you will almost for sure have a GREAT time.

A tip that was shared with me a LONG time ago when I was first headed to Japan I share with others that are going.  It is...............

"If a car door opens, get in.  If a food is put in front of you, eat it."  If you follow these rules...... your experience there will be better than anything you could have planned.

Be aware that early to mid June is typically "tsuyuu" season in Japan.... the "rainiy season".  It pretty much rains every day for some portion of the day.  This weather happens from about 80% of the way up the main island of Honshu to the north all the way down to the southern part of Kyushu.  Umbrellas are pretty much mandatory to carry around with you.  It is not typically always a heavy rain.  Sometimes it is just "misty".  I've actually has GREAT days exploring temples and gardens on those rainy days.  Perfect atmosphere.

Right after tsuyuu ends.... the heat starts.  July and August are hot and humid.  Like Disneworld in the summer hot and humid....... but worse.  The further south... the hotter.  Tokyo is a heat magnet...... so it will be hotter than the surrounding areas on any given day.  Kyoto is in a 'basin" like Salt Lake City....... so while not urban like Tokyo...it too can get hot.

So plan for the likely weather aspects.

General 'must sees':  Tokyo (for first timers), Nikko, Kyoto, Nara

Pottery places somewhat easy to get to for non Japanese language speakers:  Mashiko, Kasama (next door to Mashiko), Seto/Tajimi, Shigaraki.  A bit more difficult...... Bizen.  Mashiko area access from Tokyo.  The rest from Kyoto.  Kyushu potteries can be a bit more difficult to access.

I have to see if I can find some of the stuff I have prepared for taking my college students to Japan. We did a LOT of language and cultural prep with them (very important!).  If you PM me your email..... maybe I can send that stuff to you.

best,

.......................john

Archived