What Do You Call Yourself? Artist,potter,ceramist,sculptor,hobbyist,wanna Be?

What I call myself depends on the context.  If I am alone, I'm a craftsman.  If I am with a customer, I'm a potter.  If I am at the cultural center or an art show, I'm an artist.  If I am cleaning my studio, I'm the janitor.   :D  Dave.  The New Pittsville Pottery

^^ This made me laugh out loud. I love it. :D

A couple of years ago I was "playing clay" with the kids, and my nephew said out of the blue, "When I grow up, I'm going to be a clay artist like you." He calmly went on making a clay bug as I goggled at him speechless. I have never considered myself an artist. I find that I awkwardly say, "I make pottery," when people ask me what I "do".

I heartily agree with Dave that one word doesn't really describe all the different things I do. But to answer the question I think I feel most comfortable calling myself an "artisan". 

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I call myself depends on the context.  If I am alone, I'm a craftsman.  If I am with a customer, I'm a potter.  If I am at the cultural center or an art show, I'm an artist.  If I am cleaning my studio, I'm the janitor.   :D  Dave.  The New Pittsville Pottery

^^ This made me laugh out loud. I love it. :D

A couple of years ago I was "playing clay" with the kids, and my nephew said out of the blue, "When I grow up, I'm going to be a clay artist like you." He calmly went on making a clay bug as I goggled at him speechless. I have never considered myself an artist. I find that I awkwardly say, "I make pottery," when people ask me what I "do".

I heartily agree with Dave that one word doesn't really describe all the different things I do. But to answer the question I think I feel most comfortable calling myself an "artisan". 

No! Artisans make bricks.

TJR.

I always liked that old Southern phrase, "turners and burners."  Also the title of a very interesting book about the folk potters of NC.

Cardew liked to say that potters could be divided into "mud men" and "fire men."  I go back and forth, but I have to say that it's the fire that makes this form so intriguing.  You start out with mud, apply ferocious heat, and at the end you have something transformed into beauty that might last millenia unchanged.

10,000 it is. I only have 9,895 to go. Piece of cake.

"Someone once told potter Warren MacKenzie that the first 10,000 pots you throw are difficult. After that, it gets a little easier."

http://www.mnoriginal.org/episode/warren-mackenzie-ragamala-dance-the-starfolk/warren-mackenzie/

Malcolm Gladwell said 10,000 hours.

Guest JBaymore

Malcolm Gladwell said 10,000 hours.

And the stuff he wrote about "special circumstances" usually fitting into the picture of "outliers" is also VERY instructive.  Anyone here on CAD who has not read that Gladwell book (along with "Art and Fear") ....should invest the time.

best,

.................john

• 2 weeks later...

I Guess I'm Sort Of A Tweaker In All Things I Care To Do

As I Grow

I Will Live Confidently

And Fiercely

I Will Walk

Tall

I Will Be The Strongest

Person

I Can