Flatware Kiln Loading

Thanks for your help

I think what I'll do, for the bisque (based on your advice) is stack my tiles on edge but in a zig-zag or fan-fold pattern so that each tile only touches the edge of its neighbour? like this, looking from above    WWWW   with more stable objects as bookends?        That should allow for better/even heating...
I might do this also for the raku fire depending on the finish.

Does that sound doable?

yes, the row of Ws is very accurate in describing what would be a house of cards stacking. just let them stand somehow.  and hope the thickness is even over all of them.

"putting you down does not raise me up."

Thanks "Old Lady" and you all!

And I have another question; seeing as I'm low on shelving I'm wondering if ceramic floor tiles would work (as shelves) instead... for bisque and raku temperatures?

NO NO NO NO!  those tiles were fired at a temperature you would exceed in a firing.  tiles and shelves are made of different materials.  tiles need strength to support weight and are installed on a level surface to help with that.  they do not also have to withstand extreme heat.  look at a broken tile floor and you will see where some of the tiles were not supported correctly, causing the breakage. 

• 2 weeks later...

NO NO NO NO!  those tiles were fired at a temperature you would exceed in a firing.  tiles and shelves are made of different materials.  tiles need strength to support weight and are installed on a level surface to help with that.  they do not also have to withstand extreme heat.  look at a broken tile floor and you will see where some of the tiles were not supported correctly, causing the breakage. 

Ok ok ok ok thanks for the advice and the enthusiasm :D For some reason I figured floor tiles to be high fire?

Archived