What Is The Next Step In My Throwing Colored Clay Project?

Sooooo ... I have been trying to develop some processes for throwing colored clay. I get tired of seeing two clays mashed together for a marbled effect ... I was convinced there was so much more possible!  Note, I am not the best thrower in town by a long shot, but got tired of waiting for opportunities to get better throwers to execute my plans.

I have thrown 13 'bowls' ... slam centered the clay in specific patterns then thrown as best as I could. Lots of pictures and notes.

They came out of the high fire today and many more notes taken.

Yes, there are definite differences in each bowl and dish with original pattern placement showing through ... BUT ... in my mind I cannot call this a fact until I can repeat it, right?

Even though I don't enjoy throwing I think I am going to have to make more of the most promising ones in at least a couple different shapes before I can offer it as info in a workshop or publication???

Opinions???

post-1585-0-33245800-1419373744_thumb.jpg

post-1585-0-33245800-1419373744_thumb.jpg

I'd like to get 3 young, strong assistants!  OK, it'd settle for one.

Yes, I was imagining how nice it would be to have someone hand me lovely wedged colored clay ... then I could sit there looking very wise and cut off slices. Hmmmm ... could Santa bring some Seasonal work elves to fill in as studio helpers?

Guest JBaymore

When you see the prices Kosei-san gets for his work...... you understand the presence of the deshi/shokunin (assistants). ;)

And in person they are even more astounding than they are in the video.  I've been lucky enough to handle a couple in a Tokyo museum's archives...... they are quite light too. 

best,

.................john

Archived