I am looking for a new kiln that would be the best for firing 1/2" stoneware tiles, up to 12x12" cone 6.

I will be firing other work as well, and smaller tile as well.. 

I'm wondering about the efficiency of putting square tiles in round kilns...

so I began looking at the L and L square kilns which are expensive, but amazing. 

Is there an advantage to having a coil in the floor of the kiln...? Bailey's has that.

I'm looking for single phase, 240 with computer. 

Guest JBaymore

Do a scale drawing in a CAD or computer drawing program of the top down views of the kilns you are considering.  Then do a same scale drawing of your 12 x 12 tile.  And also the support posts.  See how they fit in each kiln.  Easy peasy with drawing program to reposition and arrange them in different ways. 

Multiply by the height of the stacking of tiles relative to the heights of the kilns (accounting for posts and shelves and and such).  That should tell you how that works for your intended prime use.

Yes... coils in the floor (and roof and door....if you can find them) matter.  Prime heat transfer in an electric kiln is radiative.  Then the Inverse Square Law on electromagnetic radiation comes in.  Simplified... the further from the radiative source (hot elements) the less energy transferred to the receiving surface.

best,

...............john

A 12 x12 tile need a squre shelve for best use of space.If its a production of 12x12 tiles a front loader with elements in door and floor make sense. You really need a shelve thats larger than a 12x24 to fit two tiles per shelve. say an 14x 28 shelve.

If you are a hobbist than a smaller less effecient layout would work.

Mark

Archived