Dying Clear Glaze

Benzine

Is it possible to add food coloring, or something of the like, to clear glaze, to make its application more apparent?

For years, I used Amaco's transparent clear glaze.  It was Pepto Bismol pink.  It made applying easy, because you could tell, where you had already covered.  

Last year I ordered more of the same glaze, but it's no longer pink.  It dries kind of an off-white.  It works just as well as the other, but it is hard to tell, where you've applied it, especially if you are going over a white underglaze.  I discovered this recently, when I was doing just that.  I pulled a piece out of the kiln, and saw a bunch of dull spots, that I missed.  Because of that, I missed the mailing deadline, for a gift I was sending, because I had to reapply and refire.  Not a huge deal, but I don't want to have the issue again.

So can I add any color of dye to the clear, and be OK.  Won't it just burn out, like it does out of my colored wax resist and such?

Food colouring has worked fine for me. Very helpful for two-part raku resist slip.

[White glaze over a while slip over a white pot, all painted on so lots of opportunities

to miss bits. Used a food-coloured slip, got some bleed-through of colour into the white

glaze layer. Burnt out fine.]

So I added some red food coloring, to one of the small jars.  I get it in gallon jugs, so I didn't want to risk contaminating the whole lot.  It worked well enough, and it was much easier to see, what I had covered.  The downside, it stained my glaze brush bristles....  Obviously, it won't matter, unless you like your light bristles to stay light.  

Old Lady, I don't think it was a problem on Amaco's end.  It was customer error.  I double checked, and they make two types of clear.  The stuff I bought recently, and the pink, that I used to.  I just entered the wrong number on my order.  Oh well, live and learn.  It's  still a good product, and I can deal with it, until I run out of my current gallon.

Archived