Translucent Porcelain Hidden Pattern Experiment.

Matt Oz

I experimented with an easy way to create a simple pattern with colored porcelain that also creates a more complex one that only emerges when backlit, I used coils of porcelain colored with Mason stains and the opacifier Zircopax.

Haven’t done anything with it yet, other than make test tiles, and I’m sure there have been lots of creative techniques used out there to do similar.

I'm using a glassy porcelain that melts and slumps to much to use for most projects, if anybody tries this you should get good results with one of New Zealand kaolin based porcelains.

Praseodymium stain for yellow.

Wedgewood for blue.

Zircopax for white.

Test tiles are about 3/32" thick roughly an inch wide

The photos are of a tile lit from the front, then backlit with a led bulb.

16063839701_2af23d7e9a_n.jpg

I twisted two coils together, one with a small amount of blue stain the other uncolored porcelain, then Inlaid them into a slab of lighter blue making a simple twist pattern, when lit from behind a more complex pattern appears.

15878490870_4be12c1e55_n.jpg

Here is a pale blue and pale yellow twisted, where the two colors overlap it creates green when lit, doesn’t stand out much though.

16063839881_6c68702719_n.jpg

This one is a white coil twisted with a uncolored porcelain coil then inlaid in white, so you can only see half the pattern when not backlit.

Hope you found these interesting.

Yes, likened to some of  tjhe glass stuff around at the mo. Where are you going from here?

I'll probably start by making things to hang in a window like people do with stained glass, than its looks would change depending on what time of day it is. I'll see how it goes, and of course I'll do more than just twisty coils.

Yes, likened to some of  tjhe glass stuff around at the mo. Where are you going from here?

I'll probably start by making things to hang in a window like people do with stained glass, than its looks would change depending on what time of day it is. I'll see how it goes, and of course I'll do more than just twisty coils.

They would also make very cool night lights or sconces.

Nice work!

If you roll them out you could move the pattern fairly predictably. The side you roll moves while the center and bottom might not depending on how forcefully you roll.

They would also make very cool night lights or sconces.

Nice work!

If you roll them out you could move the pattern fairly predictably. The side you roll moves while the center and bottom might not depending on how forcefully you roll.

Thank you for the advice, I'm always following what you are up to.

Very nice concept Matt!.......esp. like the 3rd sample

....coloured back lighting as part of the layering mix?

Irene

The third one has the best contrast, I think I could make some interesting things with that combination.

Colored lights are definitely something to try out.

how about rolling out very thin slices of the white and adding a thin layer of color, then carving through the color to the white?  this is a well known technique that is very satisfying.

I've seen examples of what your describing done with translucent porcelain, it does look like a nice affect.

Archived