Special Ash Glaze..?

So...

...um...

I have some of my beloved Grandpa's ashes. He ALWAYS loved my pottery and supported me in all my artistic endeavors. If someday I can get a place to mix glaze...could I honor my Abuelito by putting his ashes in a glaze? I was thinking of sculpting a statue of music notes and piano keys with a tennis racket on top. The runny ash glaze would be on the tips of the music notes.

Whatcha think?

On the technical side, the ash may be a bit coarse, but not unworkable. Likely no worse than some of the crunchy ash glazes of Japanese origin. Just something to be mindful of in application. To get ash to melt, you need cone ten, and calcium is a flux at that point anyways.

(I'm not trying to be an a$$, I swear. This one's a bit close for me.) I did several urns for family members about 8 years ago, but none of them with ashes as glaze, although it did come up as a possibility. I looked into making urns professionally, and the idea comes up with a fair amount of regularity. If it seems a good way to honour him to you, it probably is a good way to honour him.

I started a similar topic "Non Runny Ash Glaze" see below, and have tried three different glazes,  For two of them I used ashes sieved thru  40 mesh but for the third I used ashes put thru an 80 mesh sieve.  The trials with 40 mesh ashes were too granular for me but the 80 mesh ashes gave an acceptable result.  For the latter test I used a glaze recipe supplied by AtomicAxe, it was called SU Standing Bear (see "Non Runny Ash Glaze"), and it gave a nice smooth glossy.finish.   The two glazes used with the 40 mesh ashes would probably be more acceptable for me if I tried 80 mesh.  They were the Black Friday glaze that S. Dean referred you to; a matte finish, and a variation of C. Harris Tenmoku:  Nepheline Syenite 18.6, Gerstley Borate 8.5, Dolomite 9.3, Talc 9.3, Ball clay 18.6, Silica 28.2, Bone Ash 7.5.  I replaced the Red Iron Oxide, called for in the original recipe, with 12% Black Mason Stain (6600) and added 1% CMC to improve brushability. I will try to send photographs to the forum as soon as the mugs have finished cooling (I cheated and looked a little early).  Good luck, Joan Klotz.

Archived