Mixing Clay Screw Up

Biglou13

Made about 300# of galloway/cushing cone 6 porcelain, slightly modified (I'll post results/recipe when I fire). Thing is I forgot 50 # whole bag of nephsy. I'm planning on dusting it in as I repug , mix , repug mix, repug mix and repug....

Is there fault in my thinking.???

Thanks in advance.

Yep I've already conceded. I've also realized not to experiment with large batches......

In my book failure is progress.

The base recipe is pretty good, and getting closer to fabulous

You can't have greatness without prior failures....

Like your sig line. Try fail learn repeat....

I'm hoping this series of failures reflect in my good pottery karma.

I do not know what you can mix at a time but you could make smaller batches-say 50#s of your 300#s and wiegh in the right amount of Nepsy.

I gave up mixing clay when I was in my 30's as it's so much work compared to pre made clay for the $.

Now that I have good sized peter pugger I copuld see makeing some small custom batches only if I felt the need which I do not-now I'm just reclaiming wet clay ,making my own ratio of mixed commercial bodies and changing the firmness when needed. I love this Vacuum mixer.

Back when I made clay for students in school I learned to always work from a check list-same is true for glaze making-that way its harder to screw it up. Not impossible just harder

Mark

Made about 300# of galloway/cushing cone 6 porcelain, slightly modified (I'll post results/recipe when I fire). Thing is I forgot 50 # whole bag of nephsy. I'm planning on dusting it in as I repug , mix , repug mix, repug mix and repug....

Is there fault in my thinking.???

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like the way to go.  Somewhere there is a vid of mixing light and dark clay by cut-slam method.  If you start with one layer of each and then cut-slammed 30 times you had 1,073,741,824 layers.  Couldn't see the coloured layers anymore, looked all one colour. Not sure how to convert cut-slam to pug-remix but I'm sure it will work.  Is the current mix a different colour to the neph sy?  That might help, but if they're the same colour........ 

Plan of day

1.Weigh six pounds of clay, (quick) wedge in 1 pound nep Sy. Repeat this 30x

2.Pug ( feed the walker)

3.Quarter pugs

4. Random selections from step 3, Pug (feed the walker)

5. Repeat step 3

6. Repeat step 4

7. Repeat step 3

8. Repeat step 4

Use check off list from now on.

I agree with Chilly. Slice, flour with the NS and slam. Cut and slam 30 times. This is a very thorough mixing method.

When I mix my own clay, I mix the dry batch in a large container and add it to that same recycled recipe. I mix the dry mix wearing a respirator and am usually up to my armpits in clay dust. This helps not to make mistakes. Just check off as the dry ingredients are added. Hindsight is cheap.

Marcia

Archived