Food For Thought - E - Course!

I communicated with Antionette about her teaching. She does do one-one communications during her classes. She said that the courses are very demanding for her and she is unable to do anything else while a course is in progress. Sign of a good teacher.

You can understand the structure better at her website. Google her Porcelain by Antoinette Badenhorst.

Marcia

I do a section of pottery that few people bother with and I would really like to get what I know down somewhere for future reference.

I don't think taking a year to write a book is about to happen, but I love the option of video teaching. Not a taped session, but like Antoinette, a live inter active program. Trouble is you have to have someone who knows the technical side of live streaming, the equipment to light and shoot it and the place to do it from. Daunting!

I do a section of pottery that few people bother with and I would really like to get what I know down somewhere for future reference.

I don't think taking a year to write a book is about to happen, but I love the option of video teaching. Not a taped session, but like Antoinette, a live inter active program. Trouble is you have to have someone who knows the technical side of live streaming, the equipment to light and shoot it and the place to do it from. Daunting!

Here's an interesting idea for video teaching that is both live and interactive.... Simon Leach offers live Skype consulting and training by the hour. Doesn't have to leave his studio. I believe he's charging $60.00 / Hour. If you go to his home page and scroll down a bit you can see links and gift card purchases for Skype training with Simon Leach...

http://simonleachpottery.com

I have to say, something like this would work very well for our team as we could pull a large IMac from the office to the studio and pick up all of the wheel stations on the transmission. Bandwidth would be the key...

Mike

Having just joined the Potters Council I am all for the idea of a Council benefit such as pay-per-view of conference segments. Sure, there is plenty of stuff online and via DVDs but that doesn't carry the sense of community that inherently comes from...well...communities, as a value itself. Maybe a Survey Monkey query polling folks on this site as well as members of the Potters Council would narrow down where the most interest is, but, as John notes, somebody's gotta pay the piper and that may just be too much to ask, in addition to setting the whole thing up. Hey Tyler--love the profile pic of the sword-guy with the fire beard...I didn't get anything out of the info, but loved that image LOL    

• 1 month later...

I tried to tell more about my online classes before, but it was removed, because the moderator thought I was advertising myself. Maybe this time it may be seen differently.

We launched 3 porcelain online classes last year with huge success and taught them on 4 continents and many countries across the world. We reached potters that will never have a chance to get to any of my real workshops in the USA.

I stand in front of a camera and demonstrate, inform and teach like in a regular classroom. We hand out pdf's and answer questions on a regular basis. We've created a forum for our students to communicate with each other and help each other with answers. Sometimes they answer each other before I can get the question. I invite them to send images, and one minute videos to help sort out problems.

Koos my husband is in full charge of all technology. That is where the big challenge comes in. He has the know-how and the personality to make it happen. We are a unique team in the sense that he knows the arts and craft business for 35 years and understand what students needs to see close up and detailed.

What is nice about this way is the fact that students can review the videos, study the pdf's and if they have more questions, they have access to me. And by the way, although I teach in porcelain, the classes are set up to cover all clay techniques for any clay body. 

I like to teach and is not "desperate to teach" as I've seen someone mentioned before. I am passionate about porcelain and believe by bringing the subject to beginner and advanced potters, I can make a difference in some of the quality work that is out there, while it is nice to have my studio all for myself for a change! (I taught full time for 22 years from my studio!)

I am very busy when we run classes, because I still have to do my show work and workshops around the country and across the world and sometimes I have to do the e-course chorus in odd places, but ........ Potters are always busy! I am no exception to the rule.

I trust I have answered questions here.

Have a great day.

I love the idea of e courses .... Eliminate the travel and housing expenses on both sides is a win/win. Being able to watch a given segment as often as you need to is a huge bonus. Being able to network with other students means a sense of community. Being able to reach students all over the world who cannot afford to travel to see you is what the Internet if for.

It seems like the next logical step in workshops and I am positive it will seem quite ordinary in a few years.

I've been thinking more about this so will throw in another thought in a more personal vein ...

I teach colored clay which is of interest to a small segment of the pottery community. Some people will pay for a five day workshop because they really want to know a lot about it.

But I believe there is a larger segment of the community that just wants a comfort level with using Mason stains with clay. Enough to use it for specific purposes when needed. Maybe they just want a little freedom to play with colored slips. Whatever.

They would really benefit from a three hour live lesson ... some live feed where they could ask questions. Keep the video so they can re run it when they are ready to try something.

Im sure there are lots of other niche type processes that many of us would pay to sit in on and learn. i know there is u tube, but you can't ask questions there.

I hope someone takes this further as I see great potential.

Antoinette: you beat me to it.... I just wanted to "advertise" your e-courses ;)

I did two of Antoinettes e-courses and I talked about it once here in the forum. This is what I wrote:

I'd like to say a few words about the e-course. I'am one of Antoinette's students in her e-course classes. When I first heard about the course, I wanted to join, but was thinking: "how can that work? We students are scattered all over the world. How shall we listen and work as if together in a room?" But I knew Antoinette already from LinkedIn and so I trusted her.

She and her husband Koos did a great job, I must admit! We get plenty of information about the origin of porcelain (did you all know porcelain is man made?) and about its characteristic. We get videos where we can see Antoinette working and telling us how to do things, just as if we were in the same room! We have the porcelain tea room on fb to meet and chat and discuss questions/answers. We get homework and can upload pictures of it, so that Antoinette can see our problems (or our success). She is teaching with heart, soul and passion! We all are very content with the course.

Thank you, Antoinette, for making it possible!

It IS possible to do satisfactory e-courses, but I also understand John's objection, especially with the example of the tea ceremony and the swords.

Evelyne

Archived