What Are Your Favorite Animals?

Chantay and Marcia,

Thank you for your kind words! I really didn't have any experience with brushing on pots (okay, paper either) before I signed up for a workshop at Arrowmont with Michael Kline. We decorated pots then woodfired them. When I signed up, I wanted to practice at home so I wasn't doing it for the first time at Arrowmont. So I bought India ink and some brushes and did some research on different styles. All of the pots with brushwork were fired in the manibigama at Arrowmont under Michael's tutelage. I opted to use shino slip and bisque flashing slip more than glazes. Thanks again for your kind words!

Ummm this might not be a surprise but I LOVE PUGS. I seriously could paint and create Pugs all day everyday... Hmmm guess that's why I do so HUH. But seriously go look up Pug puppies and you will have to agree Pugs are the cutest funniest most amazing dogs... Ehem... furry people as we call them around here.... Ever!

Oh and I also like turtles and have a ground hog that lives in my tiny valley that I want to sculpt. Oh and the deer, though there hasn't been as many this year, hopefully they are just trying to eat someone else's yard for awhile and will come back and visit soon.

But then again PUGS RULE!

Did I mention I like Pugs?

Terry

Okay, that brushwork on that fox was primo.  I'd like to achieve that kind of essence, but detail gets in my way.  It's like I can't stop myself. I don't make many animals, but turtles are my favorites, and birds are my least favorites.  I study the bodies and wings of birds and yet still mine come out looking like cartoons, mostly really bad cartoons.  But here are two of my turtles and a recent owl that wasn't too bad and a stylized raven......

post-1258-0-60532200-1418360123_thumb.jpg

post-1258-0-16944600-1418361081_thumb.jpg

post-1258-0-44088400-1418361127_thumb.jpg

post-1258-0-68206200-1418361641_thumb.jpg

post-1258-0-60532200-1418360123_thumb.jpg

post-1258-0-16944600-1418361081_thumb.jpg

post-1258-0-44088400-1418361127_thumb.jpg

post-1258-0-68206200-1418361641_thumb.jpg

Thanks, New Dominion. Maybe they aren't exactly deficient, but one day I hope to surprise myself creating something by concentrating on the essence of the thing and PUTTING DOWN MY TOOLS (!) before I go any farther.  I like your description of "implicit reference to mythology and origin stories" -- gotta remember that for my next artist statement!

Alligators, bears, cats, dogs, elephants, ferrets, giraffes, hippopotamuses, iguanas, jaguars (cat not car; okay love the car too), kangaroos, lions, monkeys, newts (the amphibian, not the former Speaker of the House), opossums, pigs, quolls (love the spots), racoons, silverback (gorilla), tree frogs, vultures, walruses,   yaks, zebras.  A to Z (except X, what the heck animal starts with an X?)) I love them.  I started making animals with the image to the left, my avatar, my Yellow Labrador Retriever Lucy, and have branched out over time.  Most are raku fired and tend toward the whimsical rather than literal. They represent about 75% or more of what I sell.  A good number of these are represented in images in my Community gallery:

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/member/2045-jlowes/

John

paul, how can you not recognize a sleek seal when you made it???

@oldlady, I do see the resemblance, but that wasn't a conscious choice...there may be a little too much dog in the snout to be considered a good seal.  For me, that little bit of ambiguity means that viewers could choose for themselves what they see (or don't see)...that is the beauty of whimsy :rolleyes:

-Paul

Archived