Turpentine Pot, Herty Pot?

It was not hard to find Herty cups and a subsequent clay version (like a small loaf pan, but curved to fit the side of the tree) when walking in longleaf pine stands in the Florida panhandle in the 1950s.  Wish I still had the ones I picked up back then!  

From Wikipedia - "The initial Herty system utilized two v-shaped galvanized iron gutters to collect the resin. The simplicity of the method allowed it to be taught to the existing workforce in the turpentine industry. Herty's method yielded more resin that was also higher in quality; however, the most important success of this new method was that it lengthened the useful lifetime of the pine trees from only a few years to decades. This extended use not only saved the trees but the naval store industry as well. Herty's less destructive collection method also allowed the trees to eventually be milled as lumber.[10] Herty subsequently moved from an iron gutter to a ceramic one, and his involvement with the Chattanooga Pottery Company in the production of the ceramic gutters eventually led to the creation of the Herty Turpentine Cup Company in 1909."

Hey,

My step fathers family made their fortune in the1930s running a

Turpentine plantation. I think it was in Baldwin county, Alabama near

Mobile. There is probably information on turpentine pots at the

State archives and at the Mobile Museum.

No one is now living to ask about daily operations on the business.

Thanks,

Alabama

Lou, my friend got back to me this morning.  He says they're press-molded like flower pots. He's going to get back to me on the info he has on the companies that made them this afternoon.

Edit:  He sent me a pdf of an article his department put out a while ago.  It's too big to post here, but if anyone would like to see it, pm me and I'll send you a copy

Archived