Making Small Handles

I'm making a child's tea set (tea pot, four cups, four plates), for my daughter's Christmas present.  It's presented some fun challenges, like working with smaller amount of clay, than I am used to, and using altered techniques.  For instance, the teapot spout I made was so small, I had to use the handle of a paint brush, to pull from the inside.  My studio often feels like Santa's workshop, especially this time of year, but sadly, there are no elves to help with these tiny pieces.

The tea cups will be small, 2.5" X 2.5" or so.  My normal pulled handles will be too big.  Any good ideas, of how to make them?  I'm thinking of using a mini extruder to make a coil.  Any other suggestions?  The tea pot is a bit bigger, like the size of a standard mug, so I can probably just pull that one.

I was thinking you could maybe make a hoop tool to cut strips from a block of clay.  Hammer a piece of wire flat, bend to the shape you want, then mount it on a piece of scrap wood with some tape so that the wood acts as a depth gauge.  You'll have a flat side, but all your handles will be identical.

Essentially what Sammule said, I suppose.

You can get sets of shaped cookie cutters that are small for shapes out of clay slabs. I have used two of the pear shaped ones-one larger one smaller to cut out the outside and inside of a small handle. Works. use point of pear at bottom of cup.  Soften the shape a bit by lightly slapping to table top. let stiffen and join to cup.

I've pulled handles that are quite wee. The "handle" on this ornament I pulled, and the loop is 5/8" across, and is1/4" wide at the narrow point, 1/2" at the base. Just use your thumb and first finger to pull a handle blank. Or your thumb and pinkie. Keep in mind shrinkage can be even more pronounced when you get little like this. Post photos when you're done!

post-63667-0-43940400-1418062148_thumb.jpg

post-63667-0-43940400-1418062148_thumb.jpg

I am probably going to make some people gasp in horror with this statement, but I never pull my handles. :D My dang back just will not tolerate holding that blob up long enough to do it, but consequently, I'm very good at handbuilding handles in varying sizes.

That said, here is what I do. I grab the clay and make a worm. Then, I pound said worm to the desired thickness, making sure both sides are flat. I cut out the handle shape with my needle tool, giving it a slight taper on one end and cutting the tip at a 45-degree angle. The final step (before slipping and scoring) is my favorite part:

No sponge!

I take a thin old plastic trash bag and put it over the handle, and run my thumb and index finger over the rough sides. It feels fun, heehee.. AND you can texture the handle with bumps and stuff while the plastic is over it. Turn over; repeat. Score/slip, attach. Voíla!

Thanks for the tips folks. I'll give it a go, soon. I have to make the cups first...

I am also building a wooden box to put them in. I talked to the Industrial Tech teacher, at my school, and I was going to buy some spare lumber from him. He had a large, slightly water damaged piece, that he gave me for nothing! And he's offered some extra tools/ help, that I wouldn't have otherwise.

I'm thinking of making a stamp for to mark each piece in the set, "To:", "From:" and the year/ occasion. That way she can look back years down the road, and even pass the set on.

• 2 weeks later...

So I came up with a solution. It came to me, while making the teapot spoit. Injust threw a small, bottomless cylinder, the thickness, i wanted the handles to be. I then took the needle tool, and cut that cylinder into rings. I cut those rings into the handles.

the set has been underglazed, and bisqued. All it needs is a couple coats of clear, and it will be ready. But I also need to finish the wood storage box. That's a far more involved process for me, as that's a little beyond whatn I'm used to doing. But it's coming together.

Here are some pulled handles I made on espresso cups. I think they are smaller than 2.5". They just hold a double shot of espresso.

I pulled them just like I would mugs handles but made them smaller. It seemed just the same to me. I start with a long evenly pulled handle. Lay it down and cut into small sections. Score and attach the handle to the top position on the side of the mug. Give it a couple of pulls and attach to the bottom. They all match that way.

post-1954-0-22190300-1419178756_thumb.jpg

post-1954-0-22190300-1419178756_thumb.jpg

Back to the small hands thing:

My hands are literally the size of an eight year-old's. :D Pulling handles is still too rough on the back for me, though. I'm totally gonna try Benzine's idea.

Marcia's mugs are awesome! I made my first fatty espresso mug a little while back, and handbuilt a chunker handle to comfortably support the liquid weight. One of my worst pet peeves is when potters make small/thin handles for large mugs. It hurts to hold the mug when it's full. :(

As promised, here are some photos of the completed set:

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/album/854-childs-tea-set/

I'm fairly happy with the way it came out.  There is some interesting color variation, on the violet sections, that I didn't intend.  The clear glaze, over the violet underglaze, was a little thick, leading to the variation.  But honestly, I don't mind it.  I was just hoping I didn't have any drips on the bottom.  I glaze the bottoms (low fire body), so that they are a bit more durable for use/ play.  But I dipped them in a brush on clear, which looked a bit thick upon drying.  So I did remove a bit, prior to loading them in the kiln.  No drips on the bottom, and I can live with that unplanned, slight color difference.  

I'm also fairly happy with the way the storage box turned out.  I am not a wood worker, but that box is solid!  I showed the Industrial Tech teacher, who gave me some pointers, and he seemed impressed.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but the trim and letter are actually a dark violet, not black.

My daughter seemed to like it.  Hopefully she gets a lot of use, and does indeed pass it on some day.

Archived