Maquette, Or Break-Ette

I did not find out until late in life that making models isn't nearly as cool as making maquettes. As a semi-inspired college architecture student, I made models, study-models, mock-ups, and 3-d illustrations...but have no recollection of ever being asked to prepare a maquette (and that has nothing to do with going to school in the 1960's  :wacko:  ).  At any rate, now that I am too old to be really cool... I sketch like an obsessed person and build maquettes of most complex forms that manage to escape the sketchpad. 

A few years back, I was working on a teapot project that followed my compulsive  brainstorm-sketch-maquette sequence.  Nearing the end of the "Tea is for Trumpet" construction, I was still looking at my little model/maquette and began thinking, "It seems like a waste to discard this, what could I do with it?"  In this particular case, the maquette became the finial on top of the teapot's lid.  It is the only time that I have done something like that, but I am re-visiting the question..."What should I do with maquettes?  More importantly for this discussion,

"What do you do with your maquettes?"

tea-trumpet.jpg

(and sorry about the "Make it or Break it" reference pun in the title...it is the coffee speaking)

-Paul

Wow, Paul. You just brought an entire orchestra-inspired teapot series in my mind. To me: of course you should fire it, glaze it and send the series to some fancy juried show! The mind boggles at the possibilities. It's this kind of ingenuity that makes a big positive stamp on your creative ventures. I could spend a long time looking at that and admiring the melding of the instrument to the function of a teapot. This is exactly the type of work a collector wants to see IMHO. I love the idea that the original model becomes the finial.

Well, I learned something.  When I was studying art I made a "maquettte."  But it was of a human figure.  I thought that was the only meaning of the word. 

I would bisque fire it then use it on the side for a stamp. Or to make a relief mold and sprigs.  The teapot is too cute.

Archived