Dining Set.. ?

I use the small plates much more than the bowls.

breakfast and lunch and dessert.For my personal set I have 10 sm. plates and 6 large plates and bowls.

6 mugs but I use a variety of mugs and not often when serving dinner.

http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/gallery/image/2527-cobalt-green-matt-glaze/

Marcia

Luncheon plates are used more often for sure, as potters we must understand and follow the mindset of the people that buy handmade things. These people are usual "farm to table"  early 20s-late 30s into the health movement. This mindset is like "these smaller plates are what sizes that we should all be eating out of". Dinner plates are considered serving dishes and platters basically. Bowls are used often too, cereal, ice cream, whatever. Mugs too! but Ive noticed people have taken towards the thought of entertaining friends and serviceware so coffee cups sale like crazy too, bigger than a tea cup but smaller than a mug. and forget saucers   ;)

Small plates for toast/one sandwich/leftovers/slice of cake

Medium plates for two sandwiches/side salad

Large plates for dinner/large salad

small bowls for cereal

large bowls for pudding

mugs for tea/coffee/hot choccy

cups for ???  can't remember the last time I used a cup

So, for me, a set includes 3 plates, 2 bowls, 1 mug

Thanks everyone, gives me a better idea of what to include..

Measured our cabinets, Large plate 10.5'' Max size- Smaller plate maybe 7.5 to 8'' just for a extra sammich to fit.. Bowl size of 6'' and a Mug...

ok how about glazing the plates ? any ideas or help on this to save kiln room is appreciated.I have seen plate racks, looks like some touch the plate on the bottom of the rim.. this is the stuff I like to make, functional wares that can be used every day.. to cold out side to work on the Raku kiln, waiting for spring...

If your just gonna fire a single plate per shelf, then make sure you put in spoon rest in the rest of the shelf to fill it up. I have found those are the best to take up the room since nothing else will really fit. Also my family at least loves them. Can't have to many. We keep a little stack in the cabinet above the oven everytime one is dirty we just use a clean one and put the other in the dish washer.

Just an idea.

My family likes flat bottom bowls.  We eat a lot of asian, Thia, mexican, and pasta.  Stuff that you like to mix it all together.  Also, our favorite plates are small, 8-9", with a well raised rim.  Keeps the food and juices from sliding off.

This Thanksgiving I pulled out the good china for the first times in my kids life.  The wanted to know where I had it stashed.  Then when dinner was over, everyone had to hand wash their own place setting.  They all agreed that once a year was enough.

My family likes flat bottom bowls.  We eat a lot of asian, Thia, mexican, and pasta.  Stuff that you like to mix it all together.  Also, our favorite plates are small, 8-9", with a well raised rim.  Keeps the food and juices from sliding off.

This Thanksgiving I pulled out the good china for the first times in my kids life.  The wanted to know where I had it stashed.  Then when dinner was over, everyone had to hand wash their own place setting.  They all agreed that once a year was enough.

When I got my first home, I vowed I would never have "everyday" and "best" dinnerware.  So I bought the best and sturdiest, and have used it everyday for 33 years and broken 4 items in all that time.   And they go in the dishwasher.

I have flat bottomed plates with good rims. Great for gravy, sauces........ (My parents have wide sloping rims on their plates, the small area in the middle always seems too small for dinner.)

Thanks everyone, gives me a better idea of what to include..

Measured our cabinets, Large plate 10.5'' Max size- Smaller plate maybe 7.5 to 8'' just for a extra sammich to fit.. Bowl size of 6'' and a Mug...

ok how about glazing the plates ? any ideas or help on this to save kiln room is appreciated.I have seen plate racks, looks like some touch the plate on the bottom of the rim.. this is the stuff I like to make, functional wares that can be used every day.. to cold out side to work on the Raku kiln, waiting for spring...

Hi Crusty,

I have been doing lots of plates lately. For glazing, I wanted to dip, so I rigged up a cardboard box to be wide and narrow and tall enough to dip 2/3 of the plate. I put in a garbage bag and folded it over the sides of the box. You don't have to worry about the bag being smooth or unwrinkled because when you pour in the glaze it pushes the bag against the box.

For efficiency in the kiln, I fit one plate per half shelf, and stagger the shelves. The plate does stick out off the shelf a little bit, but has not been an issue. I can fit 10 plates in my skutt 1027.post-2655-0-30305800-1418059791_thumb.jpg

post-2655-0-30305800-1418059791_thumb.jpg

PLATES: 9-9.5" are our everyday favs; 10-11" which seem much larger only come out when all of the others are dirty or when things like corn on the cob or large baked potatoes make them worthwhile; 6-8" serve well for small meals, snacks, desserts, etc. BOWLS: we have a variety of shapes and sizes, but they all get used or they get kicked out of the cabinet...have to do something to keep it from falling off the wall. Another cabinet holds mugs, sorted by large and small usually used for hot drinks. Yet another cabinet holds tumblers usually used for cold drinks. I collect as well as make, so mix and match usually trumps matching sets.

I throw my dinner plates using Standard 266 to an 11" diameter. They end up 9.5" glazed. Aside from being our favorite size to use, I can dip them into a 5 gallon glaze bucket (no decanting into a wider container) and can get three plates on one full shelf in a Skutt 1027. One picture attached. (Sorry the photo paper is upside down! Haste makes waste.)

post-22732-0-03300700-1418089672_thumb.jpg

post-22732-0-03300700-1418089672_thumb.jpg

Beth, those plates look good...  we have a 230 which is 23X27 tall  but were only using 2 sections of it, easier to load since we have it setting on concrete blocks so its now 23X18 - 3 plates a shelf isn't going to cut it for us... I was thinking more like 12 a shelf if I get some racks to hold 4 high- then mugs and bowls on the other shelf... I think the plate racks are worth the money in the log run...

my bottom shelf is pretty stout.. I have 12  posts under it, then the stand... I figure all of the weight in the kiln is sitting on the bottom shelf so I better support it pretty good... I probably went over board when I set it up lol...

Archived