Bisque

spindy

We Fired a load of greenware and the kiln sitter did not go off. We lost a few pieces that melted. The bisque is yellowed. Most are nativity pieces which will be under glazed and some will be glazed. Is it worth the time to paint. I am not sure how hot it went to. Thank you!

Thank you. That's what I was afraid of. We are new to this and I set the timer to long. I also had the tall cones in the peep hole,but just saw the bright orange color. The cones are old would that be the problem or is the sitter need calibrated.

Cones don't wear out, as long as they have stayed dry. The sitter may be out of calibration, or it may simply have stuck. It happens. The timer should be set to no more than 1/2 hour longer than the expected firing time. That means you'll have to do a couple of firings to figure it out. Always turn up the kiln on the same schedule so you have consistency. And even then you should always be there to check that the kiln shut off properly. I have seen both cones and timers fail at the same time.

Possibly you need to reset the kiln sitter. You need a small flat head screw driver. Set the lever weight in place using a fresh cone. Have the "claw" from the sitter holding up the lever so that the weight is held up by a 1/16 of an inch. That will drop the weight to shut off the kiln when the cone bends.

You can get a little disc that sits on the inside of the kiln on the sitter to set it correctly.

Marcia

get a pack of 022   small cones to test your sitter with - I know its a cone you may never use for anything else but it can always be your sitter adjustment pack.. you want a 90 degree bend, then your good to go.. you also want kiln wash on the bottom 2 rests and the rod tip, Not on the white tube that comes through your kiln...

I just did my kiln a few weeks ago, the 022 is low heat and it wont crank your electric bill up to bad...

Archived