• 3 months later...

Aesthetics

Marcia,

How we delvelope our own aesthetics is a great topic since everyone in ceramics start from Point A.

We all suffer from the "learning curve".  We, (at least myself), learned to center, pull aka "move" clay,

make something that resembles a cup or bowl.  At some point, we begin to morph into the direction/area

we think we want to go in.

Everyone will eventually choose a clay, form, style, stain, glaze, technique, etc. for their own aesthetic

line of pottery.  And that is what makes this clay medium as great as it is.  Its like the old quote that says,

"Water will seek its own level".

This, of course, is my own most humble opinion.

Alabama

Rebekah,

Do a search for "Scratch Blue pottery" and see if you can incorporate that into your aesthetically

pleasing vessels.  It seems similiar to your blue oxide wash over porcelain.  ;>)

• 9 months later...

I'm really struggling over this aesthetic question lately. 3 years ago i quit my full time job to do part time jobs and sculpture, then almost immediately got cancer =( Now I'm coming out of it, (cancer Free 2 yrs) and trying to figure out what I'm really doing here with Art. What should I make more of?

I really want to get good at one type of thing, I know it's not wheel throwing, but that's all I know.

I'd love a critique, what would you like to see more of/developed?  Here's my website

Welcome to the community, ChelseaMae  :)

I tend to like creating in a vacuum, not overly concerned with "you can't do that, you shouldn't do that" (except in the case of potential explosions or harm to the kiln). I am often very OK with the inevitable result of craft/chemical flaws. That is as much a part of my aesthetic as the object is. I don't refuse to learn and I do learn correct practices, I just don't let perfection trump progress.  Developmentally I am a slow-goer, but I am also impatient, so that sets up an interesting kind of creative tension when am in contemplation/production modes.  

• 3 weeks later...

'I think it's the same with any art:  You have a model in mind of how things SHOULD be done, and you try to match it.  Differences will naturally creep in.  You evaluate them and decide if they're useful or not, and if you want to encourage them or not.  Eventually your work looks different than another person working in the same tradition.  IMHO, a potter should choose a tradition -- Indian pottery, Japanese pottery, Stafforshire, Ancient Greek, Italian Majolica or whatever, and try to work in that tradition (I didn't say "imitate" it), before trying to reinvent the wheel, because those reinventions never come out round.'  Earth&Ware

Copying or imitation is a very good place to start and not 'knowing' or pre-determining your personal style is somewhat irrelevant.  

A person's own natural and unique aesthetic (or 'style') will emerge no matter what after some time just making: our 'other' likes and interests will find their way into the work, our favourite colours, shapes, textures etc will  EMERGE from the continual making and almost never before.  

A person's aesthetic ALREADY exists within them and is manifest in their personal surroundings by life experience years before, so it WILL turn up naturally in their clay work as well.  

Irene

I grew up in so many parts of the US. Washington D.C., Tacoma, Washington, Hikam, Hawaii, Warner Robbins, GA, Mansfield, PA. At the same time, I was exposed to so many other places in the world by a father that always brought something back, whether recipes of other cuisine, souvenirs of art work, or other little nick nacks that struck his sense of aesthetic-whether he knew it was that or not. In the end, I feel that so much of my early appreciation of things asian came from hos travels along with the dream of traveling to other countries he had been to. My own appreciation of paintings, and prints, sculptures and pottery came from the things he brought home. I think that these influences have stuck with me for my lifetime and even though I don't attempt to make things that emulate a particular culture, I feel that those influences pop up quite often in my work.

best,

Pres

Archived