Your Fav. Glaze / Glaze Combo

TOP SECRET ... DONT ASK ,DONT TELL... THESE NOTES DO NOT EXIST... FORBIDDEN INFORMATION !!! AREA 56 ... THE BLACK HOLE... LOST IN SPACE ... ALIENS STOLE MINE...

I guess I asked the wrong question LOL.. this thread is ice cold ...

I have some books on my Santa better bring me list.. just not comfortable yet.. I need more knowledge of whats in glazes and how to  control/adjust it so-on.. Im in no way scared to try, just need a foundation to work from...

hey making your own is a piece of cake, You just need some silica if you have a cone 30 kiln. If your kiln does not get that hot then toss in some flux to get it to melt at a cooler temp and add some alumina so it will stick to the pot.

The rest is just finesse...

The "Mastering Cone 6 Glazes" book was a real eye-opener. I skipped over the extremely technical parts - I never took chemistry. The DVD "Understanding Glazes" by John Britt helped with testing. He showed an easy way to mix. He also put it into easy to see terms of which raw materials were refractory or glass former or alumina. 

I never used commercial glazes. I had only weighed out and mixed up one glaze, in class 35 years ago, before mixing my own a few years back. Start keeping copies of glazes you like. Look at the ingredients. Start making a list of raw materials you would need if you were to mix the glaze yourself. This will give you an idea of how much of each material to have on hand and how much it will cost you.

The real fun is overlapping various glazes. Don't think "Glaze A will not look good over glaze B" - you never know till you try it. Test, Test, and Test.  I don't have an extruder so I throw a ring about 12 inches in diameter then cut it into 2 inch wide pieces.

For a quick test of overlapping glazes, make a tile and bisque fire it, about 300mm (12") square and incise lines across and down every 25mm (1").

Apply one or two coats of each chosen glaze across-ways, then in the same order apply them down-ways.  You then get every glaze over every glaze, with a diagonal line of each glaze over itself.

Gives an idea of what happens on a flat surface, then make another tile with a foot, kinda "L-shaped" and repeat for vertical glazes.  Fire this one on a large cookie !!

I understand , im glad you all don't have to use .com glazes.. your kind of limited to be honest..

Babs, that's one of the books on my list...

Chilly, thanks again your on a roll helping ole Jim out... I like that idea a lot..

i sound like and old woman repeating this.  look for a copy of "Getting into pots"  by george and nancy wettlaufer.  yes it was written in the 1970s, yes the pictures look like hippie commune, yes the prices listed are laughable but the man is a ceramic engineer and his information is sound.  the description of glaze making is very easy to follow and just enough of the chemistry to make sense.  not so much as to sound like a scary test is coming.  after finding something you like on your clay, add color to the recipe and experiment that way.

when you start making your own glazes, start with recipes that have a following.  all of the ones i use came from books or recommendations of friends or experience in classes. all of them are simple to make, and best of all, NONE OF THEM RUN.  they stay where put and if you are reasonably careful with your footrings, your shelves will stay clean.

invest in some of the carbonates for color and get some of the mason stains and try whatever you like in combination.  some will work and others will not.  my attitude is if it works, great!  if it doesn"t i do not care why, i just do not use that one again.  life it too short to become an expert in something this complicated.

Sorry Crusty

I have never used commercial glazes. There are lots of good books as mentioned above. here is another

Michael Bailey's ^6 Glazes. Mastering Cone 6 Glazes, John Britt's new book on Mid-range Glazes, and John' Britt's DVD are all valuable for learning about Glazes.

Bailey's book is organized by fluxes and surfaces..shiney, matt, etc.

In my gallery under Forum discussion, I have posted pictures with glaze recipes.

Marcia

I haven't ever used commercial glazes but I can add my voice to the choir for John Britt's Mastering Cone 6 Glazes and his new book Mid-Range Glazes.  I bought MC6 in digital format my iPad as it is out of print (in color) and I wanted color pictures.  I'm sure if you ask to see pictures of people's favorite glaze combinations that DIDN"T come commercially you would get a hearty response.  

I haven't ever used commercial glazes but I can add my voice to the choir for John Britt's Mastering Cone 6 Glazes and his new book Mid-Range Glazes.  I bought MC6 in digital format my iPad as it is out of print (in color) and I wanted color pictures.  I'm sure if you ask to see pictures of people's favorite glaze combinations that DIDN"T come commercially you would get a hearty response.  

Mastering Cone 6 Glazes is by John Hesselberth and Ron Roy.  http://www.masteringglazes.com

Mastering Cone 6 Glazes is by John Hesselberth and Ron Roy.  http://www.masteringglazes.com

opps ;)

Commercial glazes that can be purchased please.

the dead thread..

Crusty, maybe this is what you were looking for? http://community.ceramicartsdaily.org/topic/4164-amaco-potters-choice-glazes/

This is about Amaco's Potters choice glazes. They are supposed to be fired at ^5-6. The thread has pictures with various results users have achieved etc. etc.

Hey, thanks.. I tried a search or two but it don't always work for me.. Gives me fits most of the time...

I will add to that post.. I have a few of those glazes and use them with Mayco ^6 .. PC has  done some some serious testing with all their colors as under/over and how many coats of each...

once we get past X-mas were going to dig in and start making our own..

We need to learn about safety of the chemicals used and so-on before we buy anything.. that's the part that is holding us up, we do not want to make ourselves sick or anyone else..

We see people post on forums after they have used something that may not be safe out of not knowing. they seen something they liked and made it. then all of a sudden you see the posts " Is this safe" etc... If I do not fully understand a new chemical, im going to educate myself on it before I use it, not after... so for now, were stuck using com. glazes.

I use lots of commercial glazes and also ones I've made myself.  Most of the time I'm too busy to make my own so buying them is just easier.  I don't usually overlap the glazes though.  Just not my thing.  As far as color combinations, the mug in my avatar is a favorite.  It's Potters choice midnight blue for the inside, Mayco dark blue engobe for the pattern under Mayco clear, and Georgies northern lights for the textured part at the top.

I use commercial glazes.  Not exclusively, but I do use them a lot.  I'm a part-time (at best) potter, and while I would love to learn and become someone who can formulate my own glazes, I'm just not there yet.  You can see a few of them in my gallery.  I like Spectrum's Texture Mossy and Muddy Waters, Amaco's Ancient Jasper and Albany Slip Brown (both in their Potter's Choice line), and the Coyote shino glazes. 

Archived