Newbie Question

theotis

it is great that you want to encourage your wife and she is happily on her way, but there is no such thing as a beginner kiln.  they come in so many varieties to suit different needs she may need to discover what will work best for her before any purchase.  we have had several spirited discussions on this subject in the last few months.  

you might consult some of the books on ceramics and pottery to be found in your local library. since your wife is interested in the field and wants to continue, she will want a kiln that will handle the work that she will produce.  installing a heavier circuit will be a necessary step. you might find a used kiln to reduce the total costs if that is a consideration. visiting several potters to see what they produce and how they fire their work might help you both know more about what to buy. 

Hi theotis and welcome to this forum!

That is so kind of you that you support your wife. Kudos to you!

As oldlady said, there is no beginners kiln. If your wife is firing mostly bisque and glazed ware, I would suggest an electric kiln with automatic control. They are good, and for beginners easy to use. Gas kilns are better for many techniques, and only with gas kilns you can do oxidation as well as reduction firings. But gas kilns aren't so easy to handle. Important is a fume hood that has a tube to the outside! Since I'am living in Switzerland, I can't help you with addresses of kiln suppliers, but I'am sure there will be colleagues who live in the States who will help soon. IF you are living in the States, that is. So could you please fill in your profile page, tell us where you live and tell us a bit more about your and your wifes pottery situation. Thank you.

Evelyne

A good kiln for starting would be something in the range of 24 interior width and 27 deep. That is a good versatile size and not so big that your wife could not fill it. Using 120 is not feasible for a functioning kiln for wares. I have a small 120 test kiln but it is 9 x 11"and it needed to have a heavier gauge wire than what was already in the house.It slightly melted the outlet around the prongs the first time I tried to fire it in a new location. The wiring in my previous house was fine. Kilns are something you need to respect and install with the correct wiring.

Going with 220 you need to check the specs. make sure the voltage is for residential power. have a designated line installed professionally. Follow all specs for distance from combustibles, venting, etc. You will need to look at suppliers details on their website and talk to the customer service. It is a great gift, but you need to follow the specs.Safety is first priority.

Best,

Marcia

In the beginning you might try seeing if some one who teaches pottery or a local potter will fire her creations. It would be the best way to get started. She might learn a bit about the firing process. Then it will be easier to transition and commit to your own kiln.

If you have no local support then buying a kiln may be your only option.

To help clarify things, the tiny 120v test kilns would usually only fire one very small piece at a time. They are often used to test samples, make small jewelry and are not commonly used by someone who would be throwing clay on a wheel. They are usually a purchase you would make as an addition to a regular kiln. Often they fire too fast and have there own quarks. The test kilns can come close to the price of a full sized kiln.

Your wife will be happier with the full sized kiln. I would say 18" wide interior would be fine, but the 24" Marcia mentioned would be nicer. If your in the US you will need a 220V line run into the garage.

A Brand New Kiln will probably be the problem free way to go, but that's not always in the budget

Digital controls on the kiln are the bees knees, but you can easy enough, live with out them.

I'm not sure where you are from, but around here you can usually pick up a used kiln on Craigs list pretty cheap. Under 400.00 cheap, some times you can get lucky and find one for a 100.00 . If it looks like it is brand new with no damage to the kiln brick and the elements all glow when its plugged in. You are usually good to go. I would look for one that has kiln shelves and kiln furniture included in the deal. When you move the kiln be extra genital because used kiln elements break easy. 

Good luck, I hope you find something that is the perfect fit for you.

Archived