It is interesting to think about coasters. In my home we have 0 coasters, and in most of my friends home there are 0 coasters. I don't know if we are just the exceptions or what, but I feel coasters are fading out in US homes, just my opinion no real hard facts to back it up.

I value a nice soft foot but I am new to all this pottery stuff. I have never held a really nice wood fired yunomi so maybe that would change my opinion to a more material earthy feel.

Either way great information in this thread. 

Guest JBaymore

Grype,

There is another "point" hiding in here in the thread that is "sub-text".  Market segmentation.

People who make certain styles of ceramic work sell that work to people who LIKE that style of work.  So there is some inherent 'sorting' of the people who might use that rough bottomed yunomi (or vase, or plate, or ?????), and the purchaser made a decision when purchasing that the rough bottom on the piece was not an issue for THEM.  They are aware of it and they will "deal" with the implications.

People who feel it is an issue.... just won't buy it.

One of the inherent problems to selling online; the buyer cannot handle the work before purchase.  Can backfire on both the purchaser and the potter in this kind of aspect.

Some potters (myself included) tend to make a particular type of ware that they love to make, and then find the market that shares that same aesthetic bent.  It is a more difficult path to establish than looking at what the masses want and then making that, but it is rewarding.  There are people out there that will not care about the roughness of the foot on the piece (beyond lacerations).  There are people who will LOOK for that "tsuchi aji" (Japanese term .... "clay flavor").

As to the subject of coasters...... we have numerous types in the house.... including actual chataku.  In the Japanese tatami room we have in our house, when we use the low table, yunomi,( even with very smooth bottoms) always get coasters. 

best,

.......................john

Great stuff, maybe I am just the odd ball with the coaster stuff.

I definitely want to be in the market where people buy what I like to make. Issue is I'm not sure what that is... That's why I ask so much about aesthetic stuff, learning the reasons behind things is super important to me.

Thanks for the good info and replies.

• 4 years later...

I was looking for ways to handbuild a yunomi, but can't seem to find anything, so I am going to throw some today for glaze testings. Question: Do you throw them with a really thick bottom so you can trim a taller foot? The foot looks really tall on some of these!!!  (I fell down a rabbit hole!)

Thanks,

Nancy

If you want to do handbuilt yunomi, look up kurinuki carving. It can be done out of a block of clay, or a thickly built piece. 
If you do want to throw them and you want a foot ring, you could either throw them as you propose and trim, or you could add a coil after and throw it while the pot is upside down. Depends on what look you want. 

nancy,   leaving space for a tall foot could cause a little problem with drying to trimming consistency.   if you do this, try a simple way to remove the major part of the thickness with a round ended tool just as you finish throwing the cup.   if you lay it almost flat on the wheelhead and pivot it upward and outward as the wheel goes round, there will be a large lug of clay removed.  just peel it off and let it dry.

5 hours ago, oldlady said:

nancy,   leaving space for a tall foot could cause a little problem with drying to trimming consistency.   if you do this, try a simple way to remove the major part of the thickness with a round ended tool just as you finish throwing the cup.   if you lay it almost flat on the wheelhead and pivot it upward and outward as the wheel goes round, there will be a large lug of clay removed.  just peel it off and let it dry.

Thank you!! That makes sense!! 
Nancy

5 hours ago, Callie Beller Diesel said:

If you want to do handbuilt yunomi, look up kurinuki carving. It can be done out of a block of clay, or a thickly built piece. 
If you do want to throw them and you want a foot ring, you could either throw them as you propose and trim, or you could add a coil after and throw it while the pot is upside down. Depends on what look you want. 

Thanks, Callie! Another rabbit hole to fall down!

Nancy

I have been working towards a Yunomi with these shapes from Standard 130. 

I cut the bottom and wall from a slab. Put a coil around the inside of this one but newer ones don't have it, thinking I'll regret that.

Toss the bottom round in a toilet papered candy dish to give it rounded upward shape. Remove.

Form the cylinder and seal it standardly. Then I stick it in the same candy dish to taper in the bottom of the wall to match the round dimension. Going around with a stick pushing it in slowly.

Turn the cylinder upside down onto the upside down candy dish to keep round, usually dry enough to not need toilet paper now.

I prefer to attach with no water, working just on the verge of too dry to do so. Then smooth together the bottom and top with only downward motions, pulling the bottoms clay into the top. Then going around the inside with the round end of a Kemper stick. I like the smoothness of no coil inside. 

Still working out the kinks.

I fired this one that was already cracked for glaze tests. It held up well. This Standard 130 also holds up well to raw glazing. Love! 

Morce

20200515_130152.jpg

Archived