I received a small order yesterday for a couple of custom mugs that are needed by Christmas. So, I can read the calendar (at least with my bifocals) and know that is just over a month away.  We know the drill...design, build, dry, bisque, glaze, cool, pack, ship, etc. and realize that 4 weeks is not a huge hurdle for such an order. With Fed-ex or USPS (or others for international friends), shipping is much more definable than say, 30 years ago, so that part of the equation seems to indicate the package should be on its way at least 4 days before Santa does his thing (I don't like cutting it any closer than that).

Here are the questions: Do you set (and announce) a deadline for custom work orders that clients/friends want for Christmas gifts?  And, just how do you determine that date?  Do you have a firm date on your production schedule for a shipping deadline/cut-off? And, for any of you who have a non-full-time-clay life doing something else in addition to clay work, does this add more stress to the holiday season?

-Paul

Paul

shippers get REAL rough with packages about this time of year.

I never have shipping breakage issues except at the holidays-as they are so rough on my double boxed pots.

I have a web page that is deticated just to this subject

http://www.liscomhillpottery.com/shipping-info.html

The last note is I already have 16 retail sales days in Dec and taking time out to ship a spoonrest is not what I plan on doing . I focus on my sales which are more large volume sales-getting hundreds of customers their christmas gifts directly from my booth in time for the 25th under a tree.This month (dec)is always a huge mounth for me as its my 35th year of running my own pottery booth in Town just for holiday sales.

One last note on last minute shipping. Often the shipper get overwhelmed and schedules drag a few extra days-I know this from past experience(last year a woman talked me into a last minute shipment across country in a snow storm)It made it on the 24th just barely.

Mark

When I was doing big time wholesale, I would not accept any custom orders for the Holidays. I just could not afford the extra time they consumed.

Now I would ask for at least Oct. 15th ... it's some law of the Universe.

The more you care about something the more likely it is to go wrong.

I would say that right now is too late for most people especially if it is not started yet, is different from what you normally do and needs to be shipped. I know there are lots of days left but this season tends to compress so time just disappears into things you have to do before the Holidays/New Year.

Nothings fast in pottery, so if it's not in inventory, there's nothing to sell at the last minute.

I would always figure shipping ended two weeks before Christmas. Absolutely nothing ships out here with less than 7 days unless it is in the same state or close region and I know it should be there in two days.

In the 2 weeks prior to Christmas, I am Crystal Clear to the client, that they may not get it in time.

I have hand delivered items across the state and some times three states Christmas eve more than once. If it was a really good sale. I love those trips because the client is usually ecstatic, and it makes their Christmas that much more special.

Sticking to this policy usually leaves about three days before Christmas to relax.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of the non-full-time-clay-life people.  I work more than 40 hrs a week at my "real job."  It takes me usually about 3 months to make enough work to fill my kiln, which is not a full size kiln as it is.  So when I get custom orders, I tell them it will be 3 months, and I only take on things which I could sell to other people if it turns out that couldn't wait that long.  I don't get many, but some people are just fine with it taking that long.

Thanks everyone for great input!  At great risk, I'll offer my summary of the advice shared:

• Know what your project and sales event commitments/schedules are and do not over-commit.
  • Communicate to your customers why you chose a deadline that might seem far away...and use that opportunity to share the production process.
  • Be realistic about your own, personal work habits and production capabilities...exercise caution in stretching those when seasonal pressure may be higher to perform.
  • Shipping breakage risk may increase the closer one gets to crunch time for delivery service providers...no one wants their pots crunched.
  • Be aware of Murphy's Law of Beloved Pots... the more you love a piece, the more likely that something will happen to it before it reaches its intended owner.

Dang... I feel an article coming on,

-Paul

P.S. My best to all who are burning the candle at both ends to make the season a success!

Hey Paul I just shipped out my last two boxes for x-mas in am for customers.

Now I can only hope UPS does not distroy them even if they are double boxed.

Mark

@Mark C.  I have my fingers crossed as well...I packed two custom mugs (bubble-wrapped, packed in box, then packed in a double-walled box with bio-degradable peanuts).  It looks like I am shipping a dorm room refrigerator. That package went out Saturday and will be delivered in Arizona today.

Interesting enough, I have had requests since this discussion began to ship products. I have responded that the risk of breakage this time of year makes it too risky...and all have replied that they understand.  One did ask about a shipping date for next year...I'm thinking that the week before Thanksgiving may be the line that I draw.

I am moving to double-walled boxes for everything, BTW.

-Paul

Paul

shippers get REAL rough with packages about this time of year.

I never have shipping breakage issues except at the holidays-as they are so rough on my double boxed pots.

I have a web page that is deticated just to this subject

http://www.liscomhillpottery.com/shipping-info.html

The last note is I already have 16 retail sales days in Dec and taking time out to ship a spoonrest is not what I plan on doing . I focus on my sales which are more large volume sales-getting hundreds of customers their christmas gifts directly from my booth in time for the 25th under a tree.This month (dec)is always a huge mounth for me as its my 35th year of running my own pottery booth in Town just for holiday sales.

One last note on last minute shipping. Often the shipper get overwhelmed and schedules drag a few extra days-I know this from past experience(last year a woman talked me into a last minute shipment across country in a snow storm)It made it on the 24th just barely.

Mark

Why we double box as well, a package sent to a customer was returned in this condition... And, the pot survived!

post-58862-0-92539500-1418400913_thumb.jpg

post-58862-0-46955400-1418400965_thumb.jpg

post-58862-0-92539500-1418400913_thumb.jpg

post-58862-0-46955400-1418400965_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Archived