Gave A School Demo Today

But.....It was for a class of Pre K (4years old) kids.  That was an experience.  Thank goodness I am a retired teacher and elementary principal so I am somewhat used to this age.  What excitement they generate. Big eyes, lots of Oh's, had to do some crowd control at times so I could talk.  Language development is important at this age so we had to introduce such words as potter, potters wheel, making an object taller and fatter.  In these demo's I usually throw a pitcher to show how a potter changes the shape of a basic cylinder.  Of course we had to work over the word "pitcher".  (What do you pour Kool-Aid out of?)  Maybe folks don't use pitchers anymore.  Kids love it when I roll a handle. I always tell them I'm making a carrot then I slam it down on the wedging board, and they see a handle.  Monday I get to do a demo for 35 women, and I bet I get the same expressions from them.  Don't we feel like magicians sometimes?

I signed up for a ceramics class at my local j.c. in '72 to learn how to make a barnacle-y thing that I saw in a teachers' magazine. First day, when George Geyer sat down at the Lockerbie kick wheel and magicked an elegant 14" pot in a minute (whatta hunk and a showman- he kicked with both legs simultaneously to avoid lopsided leg muscles), I was hooked!

I, too, am still drawn to watch every time, still looking for new/better/other techniques.

I do demonstrations for local schools anytime I am asked. I have networked over the years with many school teachers, and had good relations there. However, most have now retired and have been replaced by newer teachers many of whom were students of mine. So they know who to tap when they need some help!

On another note, the security that schools require now after 911, along with budget restraints and other trickle down administrative impediments make it harder and harder for schools in some areas to get in a visiting artist. Sad the things we have lost.

Archived