Edges On Glazes That Run

Is there any technique that will assure an even edge when you use glazes that tend to run? I realize that with these more fluid glazes it is necessary to leave a wider flow margin but what I am wondering is there anyway to assure that the margin you leave will remain straight and even? In my limited experience it seems that the glaze runs in spots around the cup or pot leaving drip marks. Is there any technique which will avoid this?

Charlotte

Is there any technique that will assure an even edge when you use glazes that tend to run? I realize that with these more fluid glazes it is necessary to leave a wider flow margin but what I am wondering is there anyway to assure that the margin you leave will remain straight and even? In my limited experience it seems that the glaze runs in spots around the cup or pot leaving drip marks. Is there any technique which will avoid this?

Charlotte

Depending on the amount of running you get with your glaze, you may add in a "run catch" feature into your pot design. an edge that slows the flow of the glaze. I occasionally do this when I want to have a sharper edge. I also do this with a foot ring that is undercut to slow the run of glazes that run near the bottom of the pot. Other alternative is to try adding a little more clay to the mix to keep it from running so much. This usually isn't as nice an option since the clay will change the Matt/gloss of the glaze. Most wet(glossy) glazes run, and therefore adding the clay will matt them removing some of their appeal.

Archived