Is There A Way To Apply One Bisque Fired Piece To Another If The Surface Is Vertical?

ddgx

Hi, newish to pottery but I sculpt a lot.

I need to apply medallions to mugs but the mugs are commercial greenware and the medallions are created by me from low fire clay. If I were putting them on tiles or anything flat I would just glaze the back as well and let it them fuse in firing. I can curve my pieces for a good fit to the mug but what about gravity, is there any way to secure them in place?  I might try letting my medallions dry and laying the unglazed greenware mugs down in the kiln, glaze the back of the medallions and resting them on the now horizontal mugs, firing them and hopefully fusing them. That seems possible though it’ll take up a lot of kiln space.

In short, the question is …Is there a way to apply one bisque fired piece to another if the surface is vertical?

I have reattached handles of student work after the bisque as well as repaired large pieces. You can try using a paper clay slip from one of your clay bodies. Damped both sides really well so the moisture is not sucked out of the slip too quickly. Re bisque and then glaze fire.I never tried two different clays but paper clay is suppose to be able to do it. Test it and see.

Marcia

Archived