Using Vaseline As Resist

Tais

Hello potters,

I really appreciate all the information you share on this website and, as a not-so-experienced potter, I try to experiment in my studio. I'm about to take part in a fair and sell my stuff for the first time, and as I dont have enough time to experiment before this (2 weeks to go!) I would like to ask you:

Is it possible to use vaseline instead of was resist in glazing? Does it leave any marks on the pots? I imagine it is not a very friendly material to burn, but I may not have time to search for wax (i havent found it yet here in São Paulo - Brazil) and Im planning on cleaning most of the vaseline after glazing. Do you think it is a good idea? 

Thanks!

if its just the bottoms you can just wipe them off with a sponge.

This is mainly what I do. I try to go around the base carefully but if anything gets on the bottom I just wipe it with a sponge creating a nice solid line, then i take a paper towel and just dampen it wipe again then wipe with the clean side of the papertowel. so far no real problems. my main use of resist is when I am not sure if I have put on too many layers and I dont want to glaze to run past a certain point onto my shelves.

• 1 month later...

You can use a foam mattress section and just wipe the pot on the foam with a twist of the wrist to evenly remove the glaze right after you dip the outside.

I recently used something called Frog tape. It keeps the edges cleaner than masking tape. I used it when spraying, but it may work for this use as well. Home Depot paint dept.

Marcia

• 1 month later...

I use old candles from a thrift store, melted in an electric fry pan. A few drops of lamp oil added will help the melted wax flow onto the dipped piece. Set the pan on the lowest temp to keep it fluid. Caution as this is flammable. I have seen Vaseline used in a school setting. It ended up on surfaces and areas of pots where it wasn't wanted. I use liquid wax on a piece of cut sponge for larger pieces. The sponge cleans with hot soapy water. John

I have hated liquid wax resist from the very first time I used it at our community studio. It was the bane of my existence! :angry:

Since I started working out of my home, instead of the community studio, where certain rules apply, I've been using an old box of coloring crayons. Joy! Rapture! Beats the heck out of getting wax resist on your piece without even realizing it, only to find out later that it had indeed happened! ;)

Archived