Brent Wheel Won't Stay Stopped

I have a Brent IE-X wheel that's about a year or so old and has seen really very limited use. Yesterday is developed a frustrating problem. When you stop the wheel with the foot peddle it stops for about a full second and then there is a little vibrating hum from the motor and the wheel starts slowly turning in somewhat of a jerky motion. If you press the foot peddle it then runs just fine but I can't come to a stop.

I checked the foot peddle pretty thoroughly and there is not any thing such as dried clay keeping it from coming to a stop and like I said it does stop, completely, for about a full count before starting that creeping forward motion.

Would appreciate any ideas?

We have a wheel that doesn't stop until you put your foot under the bar/pedal and lift it up.  Then the motor hums.  Both attributes wind me up, but the centre is still disputing "who owns the wheels" so we can't get it fixed yet.

As to why they do this? ............. sorry, can't help

yep, open the foot pedal via the bottom plastic plate.  inside there are two crews that control the stops of the potentiometer.  manual explains it much better.

if it was an issue of the wheel never stops or never starts - usually it's resulting after you drop the foot pedal - usual cause is either the plastic lever inside has somehow slipped off the potentiometer's lever arm, or the two plastic tabs on the main arm have broken off and no longer move the potentiometer.  I have both of this fault happen at least once a year on my Brent wheels.

this pic pretty much shows all the parts:

maxresdefault.jpg

I had a severe thunderstorm and developed this problem. I am lucky to live near Indianapolis and was able to take my wheel over to AMACO for them to have a look. There was a part that got fried (can't remember what) they solved the problem quickly and with great service and follow up. I bought this wheel around 1978, other than replacing a belt, this has been my only problem.

I do have to admit I carried this wheel around for years before I had the resolve to set up a small studio. Just wish I had done it sooner!

Archived