Input Would Be Great!

I just uploaded a gallery with my current beer / Coffee cups (they hold 12-16 oz)  Polish and german designs.  I am working to make them have more of a "stein" look.  The old ones were 1# and the new ones are 1.5 # to make them bigger.  Planning to do more cobalt oxide wash on these than the previous batch.  Other than that it's just a clear glaze with clay body shining through. I would love to hear some more tips if anybody sees a way I can make them better. <3 Thanks!! 

Nice classic looking beer mugs. I am making some mugs for a local brew fest we are having here in Santa Fe. I tried cobalt blue on  one of the mugs but is just didn't look quite "beery" enough. I am doing the rest in a kind of matte green and the prototypes look more in keeping with the occasion.  I put it on and partially wiped it to give it a sort of antique look.

I also tried a "twist handle" on one of the prototypes and will probably go with this for the production. I used a matte manganese glaze on the handle that gave it the look of black iron. I will  go with this also since the people I showed it to really liked the effect.

I have attached a photo of the prototype. It is just a hand built "quickie". I was going  to throw the rest of the mugs, but the people I showed it to liked the obvious "home made" look and so I will do some of each. I also stamped  text into the sides of some of them which got a laugh. 

Anyway, the handle got the biggest raves because it looked like a forged metal handle.

post-45594-0-18718400-1416260370_thumb.jpg

post-45594-0-18718400-1416260370_thumb.jpg

You might consider forming a ridge or molding around the top where the color meets the clear.  Very traditional steins would have some sort of treatment about an inch from the lip then some sort of flange/trim at the base.  It wouldn't have to be so traditional that it looks like it came out of a slip mold, but just another element of interest to boost the stein look.

By the by, I think your handles are right on target.

-Paul

Good forms, handles and classic looking glazes.  I also like the colored stamps on the sides.  The blue on the top rims, looks like it got smeared on some of the handles.  Is this intentional?

Bob, I like the rustic look of yours, from the pressed lettering, to the matte twisted handle.  Is that a stain on the handle?

benzine

I also like the look of Rebekah's forms. To me, this is how a beer stein/mug should look. I threw several similar forms for the prototypes I put out. Some people liked these (the more classic look) and some like the obvious " hand built" look which kind of surprised me. So I will do both for the up coming beer fest.

The manganese glaze/slip on the handle is one I poster here a while ago. I got a lot of comments that said it was not "food safe". which may be true, but I usually don't make stuff people eat  or drink from. I think it is fine for a handle though. I fire to cone 5-6 and I have made sculptures with this stuff that were copper plated for four days in a copper sulfate /sulfuric acid solution and the glaze  didn't look like it was effected so it won't come off in the dish washer.

below is the formula is you want to try it.

Ingredient                  Parts
Rutile                       27.00
Red iron oxide          26.00
Manganese dioxide   20.00
Ball clay                   10.00
Flint                           8.00
Frit 3134                    6.00
Copper carbonate       4.00

They are stamped on the side. I designed the Prost German style stamp and had it made, the other is obviously the polish eagle but I still had to pay I have it made. I hear compliments on my forms and handles but not sure which ones you are referring? The new design not yet fired or the current ones? The blue on the rim was brushed as the wheel was spinning slowly. I didn't intend it but found it difficult to avoid. I will have to be more careful, I also had some smears that I tried to clean up and the oxide wash appeared to be cleaned up but it still showed up after the firing

Cobalt wash will show any mistakes ( not clean off when fires) as you noted.

You could airbrush or dip this as well(dipping will also go inside a bit).-the handle is in the way when brushing.

Cobalt is a bit tricky to control.

My german salt glazed hoffbrau mug is grey claybody with colbalt letters and ornge peel surface from salting with clear glaze inside.

I think your mugs wil sell well.

Mark

I think you're cooking with gas on the new stein body, it's a good, sturdy looking ale pot. Love! I think the handles are a good size, in good proportion visually to the weight of the mug. But they read like a good round handle on a coffee cup, where you don't want your fingers to get burnt. The steins I've seen have their handles more elongated, and closer to the body. Just a very minor matter of taste. Once they're done, they look like they'll run off your shelves! (In a sales way, not a glaze way.)

I agree with Diesel that the handles could be closer to the body. having them away from the body makes the stein heavier to lift...especially when it is full. The taller forms are better for beer IMHO. I think Mark's suggestion for dipping is a good one. Good work and good idea for peer input.

Marcia

Thanks for the compliments - Chen , when you say ridge by lip do you mean like the ridge (lines) in the new stein picture? Or do you mean something else?

Ceratinly there are no hard-and-fast rules of what makes a stein, but there is something about a form that has a wider base (to prevent tilting, I suppose) and the tapering slightly (perhaps multiple tapers) with some sort of ridges/molding/profile where there might be logical places for glaze breaking or changes of color:

stein-example.jpg

I love the form you have going, tall, nice base , and the beveled lip rocks.. I have done those lips in practice sessions .. I love em..

The handle, I do like, but they don't fit the form to my eye.. They are made very well and look great but  its the size of the curve that's throwing me off... it looks like it might fit a round beer pitcher  better...

ok I tried to help you out, ill post some pictures in a few days , sooooo you owe me 1 ...

Paul- that handle placement is lower than I thought it would be, I bet it feels good in the hand and tips easy..

it's part of a German/ old school European line I am working on developing.  This area has  mostly german and polish ancestry- so to develop a bread and butter line that caters to the demographic but something I also enjoy. (my heritage) The idea is to develop a line so I can have a free mind to use for my more artsy sculpted pots that would not pay the bills. ;) I could see involving smaller bosses on the mugs in the future and possibly along a foot rim of a breakfast or mixing bowl. It's all a work in progress at this point.  

Your handles look very feminine for a german stein. It doesn't mean they are wrong, but I think they could be a bit less loopy. What if you made handles more like a shallow rainbow? Here is a good example of what I am talking about: http://schallergallery.com/exhibition-detail/4/2/34/Joe-Singewald-clay-wood-and-fire/Joe-Singewald/Squared-Pitcher

Archived