Where To Find Toggle Switches For Kiln?

good morning all!

anyone know where i could possibly find toggle switches (on/off switches) for my gare 1822?

the manufacturer wants $30 each. i was hoping to find something cheaper. i didnt know if i could pick something up from home depot, or if they had to be specifically made for kilns. im worried about the heat resistance.

anyone know where i could possibly find toggle switches (on/off switches) for my gare 1822?

The specifications are probably printed on the switch. With those specifications, you might be able to find the switch from a local source.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

I don't recommend that you install an electrical device in a kiln that is not designed for your kilns. It may cost a bit more to get the right part but your safety is a concern. The part may also fail sooner then the right part would have and require you replace it again. that would most likely cost more then putting the right part in in the first place. Be safe do it right. Try contacting Euclid’s Elements they have always been good to me with their service and product quality.

http://www.euclids.com/

I do not work for Euclid

hey tom.

deep down i knew that. im very new to the whole ceramics/pottery thing and im very VERY cautious. especially when it comes to the kiln. i really dont want to burn my house down. :blink:

i appreciate the advice and the link. ill check them out right now!

I don't recommend that you install an electrical device in a kiln that is not designed for your kilns.

I agree, especially with switches, wires, and wire terminals. The original parts found in kilns have been tested for high heat. When you replace a switch, check the wires for heat damage. Sometimes a switch fails due to a damaged connecting wire.

Sincerely,

Arnold Howard

Paragon Industries, L.P., Mesquite, Texas USA

ahoward@paragonweb.com / www.paragonweb.com

High heat should not be a major factor in switch design for a kiln but high current certainly is. The switch you took out should have its rating stamped or printed on it you need to match or exceed the voltage and amperage or wattage number correctly or the switch will overheat and melt or worse. There are a number of places where you could find the switch. Graingers likely carries switches that can handle the load. I contribute maintenance to my local community college and I have actually had very good luck getting parts as reasonably as any place else from Skutt, I am not familiar with your manufacturer. Good luck

Regards,

Charles

i guess im just going to suck it up and get the switches from the manufacturer.

i guess i better start getting used to dealing with things like this, and i want to make sure everything is running correctly and safely.

thanks guys!

Actually there are suppliers who can help in some instances. I like elements from Euclids fo instance (www.euclids.com) and they also have other kiln parts. Some kilns are difficult to get parts for and I've had good luck with those from Euclids. Good luck!

Archived