I had an interesting day yesterday to say the least. I had a festival in North Georgia. I also had snow, wind, and cold. YAY

Setup was set to start at 7:30 am. I am usually one of the first to arrive since I like to take my time and not risk hurting my back. I decided to show up at 8:30 instead. You have no idea what a huge decision this was for me... I am always early for everything, I still can't believe I managed it. 😜

Secretly I am hoping the show promoter will tell me it's been cancelled when I pull up. I arrive and am told cheerfully that the show would go on that we were tougher than a little bit of weather. Hmmm Weather Advisory anyone? Pulling into the site the first view to greet me is a lone tent upside down in the middle of the field. It looked like a squashed spider with crooked spindly legs sticking out in every direction. The legs had a nice chunky profile though where the PVC weights were still attached and visible between the flapping shreds of the tent top. Has no one around here heard of the weather channel except me? 20-25mph sustained winds with 40mph gusts, rain, sleet, snow and Max temperature of 40-45. Woo hoo lazy sunbathing weather, oh wait I can't get a tan for the life of me so I guess I'll just do the festival instead.

I decide to set up my display but not to put up my tent, easy ups are not known for liking wind. I just didn't feel like practicing my tent flying skills. Lazy thing aren't I? I had brought extra weights. I usually have 4 25lb wrap around sand bag style weights that I use but I had raided the gym on my way through the garage and grabbed 2 25lb and 2 30lb kettle bell weights to add to this. I also grabbed my spiral anchors and an extra pack of ratchet straps. I was really worried about bending the frame trying to keep everything on the ground.

While setting up my displays I had to clamp the fabric covers down since they were flapping around like crazy. I zip tied all the wooden crates together and then to my tables. Whatever would I do without zip ties, wish I knew who invented them so I could send them a thank you note. I had to put pieces of wood under the table legs as the ground was wet and soft and they started sinking before I even had pots on them. Oh and why do they never sink equally? It's always to one side or the other, something really weird about that let me tell you. I zip tied my plate racks and sculptures to the crates and taped the plates to the racks. While I was doing this other artists would stop and ask, "aren't you worried about the rain?" My answer, "Nope pots don't care if they get wet and I have a rain coat and umbrella for me." They would answer, "oh" and wander off. Lol I guess my answer wasn't the one they wanted to hear.

From the looks of it about 1/3 to 1/2 of the artists didn't even show up. My husband said oh you mean the smart ones stayed home. Ummm... I set up what does that say about me? He just gave me a look. I guess he doesn't want cooked food this week huh. Mr. supportive stayed home with the dogs which is just as well having to listen to even one more person whine about the cold might have done me in.

The day progressed, the sun came out which was a blessing and made me even happier I didn't put up my canopy as it warmed up my space quite nicely. The wind was relentless and so was the cold. There was a handful of people braving the elements. I sold some items but nothing big. They didn't want to carry anything and expose their hands to the cold. If it was small enough to fit in their pocket they were interested but just barely. Spoon rests sold, colorful fall leaves did not. Personally I think Polar Bears have no need of leaves but find spoon rests useful for their big bear spoons. The show had the capability of be a great one if the weather had just cooperated. Thank goodness for spoon rests... Seriously spoon rests saved my rump.

By the end of the day I had the pleasure of watching another tent flip over, covered my show fees, supply fees, got paid for creation time, and made a little bit of profit as long as I don't pay myself for the time spent selling. I'm such a good volunteer I really must ask me to help out again! The booth behind me sold nothing, the booth next to me sold nothing, the booth on the other side never showed up. The booth diagonally behind me was a potter and he sold some. I'm thinking around $200 but it could have been more or less. The woman selling hats and scarves 2 booths down made a killing. Gee I wonder why? Any ideas??? Maybe I should have knitted little caps and scarves for my Pug sculptures and mugs then I might have sold some.

Towards the end of the show I am sitting there wrapped up in five layers of clothes fantasizing about Oldlady's closet full of wool sweaters. Weird but true, I actually got to debating with my self as to just how many layers of wool sweaters it would take to turn one into the Michelin man and have to be rolled away. Thank you oldlady for mentioning your lovely closet stuffed full of warm and toasty wool sweaters, I being a past Florida girl probably own 2, but at least it gave me something to take my mind off the loss of feeling in my extremities.

Anyhowwww sitting there wondering why I hadn't thought to bring a blanket a guy walks up and goes... "How can you be so calm? It's irritating!"

"Ummm excuse me do I know you?"

He points off in the other direction and I guess he can see me from his booth or something. I ask, "What is there to be stressed about? I can't control the weather, once I decided to do the show the only thing to worry about was tent or no tent, that decided there's nothing left to do but hope for the best." I told him the stress goes away when there are no options to choose from. He grumbled something and stalked away. Oh well another unhappy noncustomer. I really must work on my people skills.

The day continues, the clouds build, the temperatures plummet, the handful of wanderers stagger frigidly off to their cars and hey what do you know it's 5pm and I didn't blow away. YIPEE, success I am soooo good at this. lol The show promotor comes by and hands out checks for the $25 deposit we sent with our applications. Those of us still standing at the end of the day earned our deposits back. Woo hoo! I'm rich whatever shall I do with all the money!

The only thing good about tear down was that for the first time in 8 hours I wasn't shivering. Oh and the fact that it was really quick since I had no tent to take down... Really must think on this use of no tent policy of mine for the future just imagine all the stuff I could leave at home. On the other hands the medical bills to care for my skin cancer might eat into that joy some so I guess maybe it's best to just stick with a tent and take a bit longer to tear down.

Show survived, pots packed, car heater running full blast, I looked at my husband, grinned and said, "Gosh the life of an artist is so glamorous, so easy, no responsibilities, do what I want, not a worry in sight, it just doesn't get better than this."

He just rolled his eyes and said, "I think you froze more than your toes."

😄ðŸ˜ðŸ˜ƒ

Terry

Similar post to GEP a few months ago?/ Didn't that poor poster  have a floodway throught her stall??

Well done Pugaboo!!!

Soo Calm,didn't he know you were frozen to the spot??

Hope partner had hot soup awaiting your return.

A life would be boring without clay. :lol:  :D

yes, deserves a mgazine spot.

Good story

(Really must think on this use of no tent policy of mine for the future just imagine all the stuff I could leave at home. )

I never use my tents at 3 of my 7 shows. I only use them for side wall security lock ups and 3 shows are no issues with that.

I will add only one is a 1 day show and thats never a tent show ots bare minimum for easy in and out.

One tip I can add is a clip on umbrella for chair or rack or small stand umbrella for sun issues. But wind can also keep that in van.

Good luck with the next show.

Mark

I had an interesting day yesterday to say the least. I had a festival in North Georgia. I also had snow, wind, and cold. YAY

-------

Show survived, pots packed, car heater running full blast, I looked at my husband, grinned and said, "Gosh the life of an artist is so glamorous, so easy, no responsibilities, do what I want, not a worry in sight, it just doesn't get better than this."

He just rolled his eyes and said, "I think you froze more than your toes."

Terry

If folks only knew just how glamorous this aspect of an artist's life is. It is a wonder that everyone isn't doing it! *snicker*

I do agree with the hubby...all that cold fresh air does strange things to the brain (and toes).

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure.  You are a trouper!!

-Paul

They aren't called "E-Z Up, up and away" for nothin'. :)

Zip-ties were invented by Maurus C. Logan, who was working for Thomas & Betts, an electrical company, in 1958. He was touring a Boeing plant in '56 and watching workers assemble wiring harnesses, where they'd damage their fingers tying waxed nylon cord around bundles of wire to secure them. He looked for a way to secure wiring bundles without injury, and the company submitted a patent application two years later, marketing their product under the name Ty-Rap.

Alas, he died in 2007 at the age of 86, so you can't send him a 'thank you'. But I think he was well-rewarded... when he retired from Thomas & Betts, he was Vice President of Research and Development, and had contributed to the invention of many successful products.

Hard to imagine what it's like to invent something that becomes so ubiquitous as the zip-tie.

Was that the Mountain Arts & Crafts Celebration at Cloudland Canyon State Park, or another one?  I had friends over in Chastain Park in Atlanta that were having a tough day, but not as tough as yours.  You are a trooper.  My last show was last weekend at Johns Creek in north Fulton County and we were all hot!  One week can make a big difference!

Congratulations on covering expenses in hazardous duty conditions.

John

I'm glad everyone enjoyed the story. You all have OLDLADY to thank for it, she gets imposed upon by all my goofy emails first and has tried to get me several times to post them here. Not everyone gets my sense of humor in my writing but I finally decided to give it a try. If you can't laugh at yourself or life what's the point right?

I have actually done far worse festivals believe it or not. I will in fact be applying again to the Unicoi Wine Festival again next year. It's in a beautiful location, close to home, run effeciently, friendly staff, has the capability of having way more attendance than it did, I made a profit even with this years issues so for me it's a try again next year event.

Thank you for the zip tie info, too bad I can't thank him but I hope he knows his invention is vastly appreciated.

Keep your tents weighted, pots taped and toes warm!

Terry

Puggaboo,

No, really., thank you for posting this account. I was trying to think how you could sell your writing, and use your craft fairs as fodder for your work. Perhaps your could write historical romance while waiting for your kiln to unload? Ceramic who-done-it mysteries?

What ever you do, keep writing. May your brain stay warmer than your toes. Myrtle

• 1 month later...

Here's a tent weight tip for anyone who doe snot want to schlep weights but is worried about wind.  Plastic gallon jugs work as great weights when you fill them with water (if venue has a source).You can zip tie them through their handles to your tent poles.  End of the day- empty out the water and they are light as air. 

Here's a tent weight tip for anyone who doe snot want to schlep weights but is worried about wind.  Plastic gallon jugs work as great weights when you fill them with water (if venue has a source).You can zip tie them through their handles to your tent poles.  End of the day- empty out the water and they are light as air.

This tip is ok for fair weather but a gallon of water only weighs a tad over 8 pounds.

My show weights are over 25#s per leg which is what you need in a big wind.I have seen many a tent take off in a big wind with small weights attached.

Mark

My show weights are 60 pounds a leg, i do beach shows a lot. Last year i only had 40 per leg and then i had that one show that the wind was constant but shifting, i wanted more weight so this year added another 20. I use pvc pipes full of sand and tile shards. If you are going for jugs of water use large kitty litter jugs full of water, at least 2 per leg, use rope not bungees cause if a bungee snaps it could hurt you or your shoppers. I used water jugs for 2 years but most shows don't have a ready water source and you waste a lot of time finding water and to transport them full is a pain for packing the truck.

Mine are lead filled steel channel with a steel loop sticking out the top cast into them -they wiegh 32#s butsome of the best ones are 2x2 solid steel bar stock with a hole drilled thru with a loop of nylon or a steel loop wielded on top. Cut at 36 inchs nong they weigh about 35-40#s each and store in a small space and lie tight on the tent leg.You can paint them any color as well. My friends have black ones. Paint them or they rust.

Mark

Country Boy Weights - 6 inch PVC pipe about 2-3 feet long. Glue an end cap on one end, mix up a bag of QwikCrete, pour it in the pipe. For the other end cap, drill 2 holes, place a U bolt through them and secure with nylon insert nuts, then glue to the pipe. The weight will be up to 80 pounds (the weight of the bag of QwikCrete).

I made these 6 feet long using 2 bags of QwikCrete for added weight for a tractor disc.

I had my pvc weight one long 40 pound weight but decided at the end of the day hauling four 40 pound weights back to the truck was too much and this past summer cut my sand filled weights in half so each weight is 20 pounds and i now hang three twenty pounds per leg. The smaller weights are easier to lift and fit in the truck around my pots, tents, tables and shelves. Everyone asks where i bought them...the guys seemed amazed i built them. I am currently hunting for 25 pound metal dumbells at the thrifts to anchor down shelves.

Archived