Non Runny Ash Glaze

Venicemud

Yes, years ago someone posted (somewhere) about making a glaze for his dogs ashes using some of the ash in an exterior glaze for the urn.  I mentioned this to my non ceramist husband and he was quite taken with the idea, said he wanted me to use some of his ashes on one of my ceramic pieces.  He was always sure he was going first - guess he was right.

Venicemud I am so sorry for your loss.

Jeff Zamek has in his book What Every Potter Should Know a short chapter about his black Lab dog which he wanted to use some of his cremains in a glaze. I've never used the glaze so I cannot comment on how it is.

Black Friday Glaze Cone 6/ox

Nepheline syenite 20
Whiting 15
EPK 18
Ferro frit #3124 20
Flint 325x 17
Bone ash (Friday) 10
Mason black stain #6600 12
CMC 1%

• 3 weeks later...

I am sorry for your loss. I don't know if you have already attempted to do the glazing, but I just tried incorporating my 5-month-old niece's ashes on an outdoor planter for her parents. Not sure if it will work, but this is what I did:

1. Mixed her ashes with a little bit of the glaze I would be using on the pot. (I used a chun clear type glaze so I could see through it)

2. Brushed on the ash glaze as a decoration in nooks and crannies or as brushwork (you could add an iron or stain to it to make it pop...but then you won't know exactly what effect that person's ash has on the piece)

3. Dipped the pot in the glaze.

I'm firing in a week. If I think about it I will make a post about it here to let people see the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Human remains aren't the same as a wood ash so you will need to use a different formula based on the more calcium rich materials.  The two times I made a glaze from cremations have been more buttery matt than glossy because of the chemical makeup of the remains.  Mixed in 5% batches into most glazes shouldn't affect the glaze quality too much ... Here are a few to get you started.

Black Friday Glaze Con 6/ox

Nepheline syenite 270x 20
Whiting 15
EPK 18
Ferro frit #3124 20
Flint 325x 17
Bone ash (Friday) 10
Mason black stain #6600 12
CMC 1%

Audra Loyal
Eugene OR

SU STANDING BEAR ^6 OX. (Bill Edwards)
-------------------------------------------------------
Wollastonite10.00
Silica 15.00
EPK Kaolin 20.00
G-200 Potash Feldspar 20.00
Ferro 3134 30.00
Bone Ash (Human) 5.00

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Audra,  I'll make up a test batch of the SU Standing Bear glaze today.  Like Jeff Zamek's black lab, my husband was very fond of wearing black so I'll add 12% 6600 Mason stain.  It has been an unpleasantly busy 6 weeks since my husband passed with little time for clay.  I have managed to throw and bisque fire about 30 mugs, and the future looks clearer, so I'll test fire the three glazes I have decided to try very soon even tho my kiln will be largely empty.  Not ecologically sound, but none of my friends have stuff to add to the load.  Unless the results are totally embarrassing I'll post pictures, Joan Klotz.

Archived