Stupid Kiln-Loading Injury. 'tis Bad.

So, three years ago, I was entirely too nice and loaded three kilns' worth of work, BY MYSELF, for my ungrateful classmates. These were huge kilns, for the record. Well, I was loading the very bottom of my last kiln, a top-loader Skutt fatty, when I felt a sickening, agonizing pop between my shoulder blades. I ruptured a disc in that spot.

Since then, wedging, throwing, and TRIMMING have been extremely painful for me. I won't even get into how it feels to load my top-loader old grandpa Skutt 230. It's reeeeally doing a number on my creative spirit. You don't wanna know the dang pills I'm on for the pain.

Has anyone else here sustained thoracic spinal injury while doing clay stuffs? My mud is my life, and I am so frightened of losing it. How do you guys cope with crappy spinal injuries? I'm getting reeeeeally depressed. Like, crying every time I stare at my work depressed.

Please help a guinea potter out... :'(

Your depression may be a side effect from one of your medicines, I take medicine for Multiple Sclerosis and depression is a major side effect you have to watch for.  My first sign of MS happened when I was throwing,  I had just finished a large set of dishes and decided I wanted some pasta bowls,  I starting throwing and my right arm wouldn't do want I wanted it to.  After my diagnosis I decided nothing was going to stop me so I started making tiles, murals and fountains.  I'm going to try throwing again someday and hope I can rebuild that skill,  my husband helps me unload and load kilns if I need the help.  Denice

I agree with Denice ... The first thing to do is report these symptoms to your doctor and talk about your medication. It would be wonderful if a simple change of drugs could get rid of these feelings.

Second ... Hand building.

Find the joy of hand building objects small or large while you heal. The range of motions is not so repetitive or demanding on the body. No wedging, throwing or trimming is required. You can easily work very creatively in this way for the next thirty years!

Keep us posted ...

For me its 20$-but it varies a whole lot in the USA.

Mark

For the Gpotter

I suggest a doctor visit  and get to the bottom of this-and no more bending over electrics-a front loader would help you.

I have had a serious wrist injury and still produce tons of pots each year-it takes time the right Doc and a whole lot of PT.

Mark

Plus 1 for going to see the dr to review your meds. Is surgery an option for treating your injury? If you don't see an improvement after 3 years then I would try something different. I would do what it takes to treat the spinal problem first and give yourself permission to heal without worrying about clay. 

Once your body is up to it then front loading kiln with corelite or advancer shelves, pugger, throwing while standing, soft clay all help even if you don't have a ruptured disc.

How much does seeing a doctor cost in the usa?

That's an "it depends" type of question ...

it's certainly less costly than crying every time you think about where your artistic life has gone or being in pain all the time.

Pain management strategies are affected by everything from how well trained is that particular doctor is in that area, to how honestly the patient shares their real problems and symptoms. Some people don't want to tell a doctor that they are still in pain.

If 'TheGuineaPotter' was my friend I would be urging her strongly to get to the doctor ... and if that did not do it, then get to another doctor.

Not always but, The root cause of most of these injuries is not the one "event". Often it's years of bad posture, weak spinal erectors, repetitive use. There are many of us with bulging discs or worse that are not symptomatic.

You can treat the symptoms

Fix the problem , usually surgical.

Or the least prescribed fix

strengthen spinal erectors!!!! Which can be a combination of physical therapy, physiotherapy, chiropractic,

All off these will help fix the weakness and imbalance.

I ve seen amazing results with back pain injury, with non traditional wholistic approach.

Problem is finding the right person to teach /coach you

As always follow Md's advice. But seek out alternative options.

If tolerated try low weighted, start with 1-3 pounds.

1.one arm Suitcase carry walk

2. one arm waiter carry walk

Google them and get someone to teach you proper form. Especially #2.

I have more but these 2 are easy and very effective.

A strong well aligned back, will keep the md. And pain away.

You just have to pretend you're a snooty French waiter with a little mustache and that'll result in proper form, right?

I have a bulging disc problem in my lower back, and I know how much it bothers me reflects how out of shape I am. When I had serious foot problems in January (severe gout-like symptoms, but nobody would give a positive diagnosis) and wasn't able to walk at all for a couple weeks, and then only on crutches or with a cane for about four more weeks, and then stayed off my feet a lot because they were sore... my back has gotten a lot weaker and I have more pain in my lower back and left leg. It's about time to go pay for PT again to get me back on track.

i am sorry you are having such a very bad time with your back and the depression.  does it help that you are sharing it with us and we all wish you the best?  please ask for help from any other potters in your area.  check any local schools for someone not to be an apprentice, exactly, but to help out in the studio so you can do some of the creative parts.

2. one arm waiter carry walkGoogle them and get someone to teach you proper form. Especially #2.

You just have to pretend you're a snooty French waiter with a little mustache and that'll result in proper form, right?I.........

Pretty close in a nut shell.... Weight in line with shoulder in line with hip, in line with knee, to foot, ear in front of arm look straight, with appropriate core, and thoracic, engagement. Neutral spinal alignment.

So yes. Like a snooty french waiter, without the bowed out chest. (Poor thoracic upper ab engagement.)

There is longer version I'll try and find link.

Thanks, guys. I really appreciate your feedback a lot. My T5 is herniated in the classification of "severe," so I'm anything but asymptomatic, I'm afraid. Thoracic herniated discs are super rare, and as such, are not very well understood in terms of surgical repair. Honestly, I'd rather pop hydro 10s the rest of my life than end up in a wheelchair. Psychologically, I could NOT handle that.

The problem is that I know I neeeeed a front-loading kiln, but I barely have money to keep myself from getting kicked out onto the street. My wheel is a super crappy Brent model A, too. Looks and throws like a turntable, haha...but, it's mine. Sadly, I pretty much have no other potters I can talk to, because I live in a crap area for ALL art forms. I stick out like a sore thumb...

I just want to do what I love without being in freaking terrible pain all the frickin' time. I have considered moving to sculptural pieces, but it is just so heartbreaking for me to think about, because I worked SO HARD to learn to throw. I sucked so bad at the wheel for a long time--several years. Now that I actually make beautiful pieces on the wheel, my effing back has to throw a right volcanic tantrum about it. I have struggled with depression my whole life, and throwing is one very precious, rare thing that relaxes the turmoil of my heart and soul. That, and playing with my bunnies. ♥

I'm grateful to have such supportive friends here. It's so hard to get out of a funk when there is no one to talk to, you know?

Oh yeah--does anyone have scapholunate troubles with their wrists? That's the tendon on top of the wrist like a bracelet. Mine are hamburger... :( Geez, I'm busted up!

Guest JBaymore

You just have to pretend you're a snooty French waiter with a little mustache and that'll result in proper form, right?

I have a bulging disc problem in my lower back, and I know how much it bothers me reflects how out of shape I am. When I had serious foot problems in January (severe gout-like symptoms, but nobody would give a positive diagnosis) and wasn't able to walk at all for a couple weeks, and then only on crutches or with a cane for about four more weeks, and then stayed off my feet a lot because they were sore... my back has gotten a lot weaker and I have more pain in my lower back and left leg. It's about time to go pay for PT again to get me back on track.

Carl,

The FOOT symptoms you describe can actually be FROM the disc!  Talk to your doc.

best,

............john

Oh, I talked to my doc, I talked to a podiatrist. They can't say for sure it was gout (because they didn't take a joint fluid sample), but it was very specific, very intense pain in primarily my big toe base joint and some in my ankle, and my whole foot was swollen. If I held my toe in just the right position (with my hands), the pain was less intense, but if I let go the swelling pushed it out of line again and put pressure on the joint. Fortunately, that level of pain only lasted for a few hours... I used to have migraines, and I've smashed a fingernail or two, and I this foot pain was the worst pain I've endured. But it was days before I could put any weight on the foot and weeks before I could walk without a cane.

I was taking a medication that elevated uric acid serum levels (the cause of gout)... the doctor changed my meds and the problem hasn't recurred.

Oh, dude!!! Gout freaking SUCKS SO BAD. I have a minor case of it in my right foot, and dang, it feels like your stupid toe is getting cut off!! I feel your pain, man. I have REALLY bad plantar fasciitis in both my feet (can't drive because of my back, so I walk everywhere), and it feels like walking barefoot in a field of legos. Feet stuff is so lame!

If you have planter faciitis, you can use store bought inserts for them.  My son and I both have it.  We use Power Step, the only ones that I have found work.  My son says they work as well as $200 custom orthodics.  Also, new tennis shoes every four months.  Even if your tennis shoes don't look worn out, the cush is gone.

Archived