Mid-Range Glazes, John Britt

Just got my copy of John's new book on cone 6 glazes, "Mid-Range Glazes." I had been awaiting delivery all day.

Thumbed through it and now will retreat to reading it. It is laid out very much in the same manner as his book on High-Fire Glazes. Theory and practical information, followed by in-depth descriptions of glaze types with recipes and photos galore. The choice of photos, inspirational in themselves, demonstrates the incredible range of results available at this firing range. Both oxidation and reduction are well covered.

Great job, John Britt. Thanks for writing it for us.

I am sure more posts will follow but I want to get back to the book.

Received my book today also.  I have tried many of his cone 10 recipes from his 'High fire ' book and hope this one is as good.  It looks as if there is a wealth of info in this book.  Thanks John for taking time to put your knowledge into a book that should help us all!

My Book is supposed to be here by October 31. Cannot wait!!! (October 31 is also my black lab Hank's birthday.) Hank is sleeping on my feet and says "hi."

I went to a workshop taught by Mr. Britt last summer and it was amazing. I learned so darned much.  I didn't know there was any room left in my brain, :o

If the book is as good as his workshop which it should be, your money was well spent,

There was so much information in the class, the book should fill in the stuff I missed.

Since getting home from his workshop, I've done 500 more test tiles.

How many glazes does a potter need??

Beth

I also got my copy yesterday.  I took a glaze class with him last summer and he talked about the book then.  He brought many of the test tiles of the glazes used in the book.  I am/was blown away.  When I first saw that the book was just about 200 pages I was a little disappointed.  Do not be.  The pages are packed, twice as much info as any other book this size.  The pictures of the pottery chosen as samples are wonderful. Many glaze books have a large percentage of glazes I would never use.  This one, I will probably try a very large percentage of.  My only disappointment was the number of glazes that are reduction only.  I would like to try the glazes but have no access to fire them.  Some day....

Archived