Mud Needs Help (Noob Fer Sure Here)

I just inherited 4 truckloads of molds---i just got them into a safer inviroment---these the bands all rotted (touch em they fall off) i guess except for some with straps with belts----critters---mice--dirt dobbers and who knows what else made homes in some---- some have stains inside - and some general crap stuck--- i found info on removing clay or what is poured into them out and general care-- but what if its heavver stuff and stains that naturally aqumilated over time from improper storage---i dont have a kiln yet---but since i have 2000+ so far (still got to unload 1 more truck load) some have to be good--they were stacked ok and until i make shelving hopefully i stack them ok till then---I am hopeing these wont be a waist of time for me---i am hopeing to get a kiln and a book and make a big mess while i learn so any imput will be great.   thks Mud.

If you are looking into starting a cast ceramic studio, contemporary studio, paint your own pottery, etc,  I'd find someone to you can take lessons or be mentored from in your area.  Most molds tend to wear out and lose detail with each pouring, so you may want to really look them over.  the stains should not be a big deal as long as they did not add/remove texture.

These molds will definitely be time consuming for you. Not just the unloading, storing, cleaning, checking .....etc .... but also the curve you will have for learning how to work with slips and molds.

If this is the business you want to get into, then I suggest you get some advice from people who are already doing this. They might be able to give you solid tips on what to look for when auditing these molds. Then, buy some books and give yourself permission to enjoy learning.

Best of luck to you!

Archived