Sign in to follow this  
RAS

Leather Hard Clay

As I was loading the kiln for a Bisque firing, several feet on the bottom of some vases fell off. Is there a simple way to re-attach the feet to my dried piece (stoneware, Cone 6 clay)? Somewhere I read to use Elmer's glue before bisque firing, would this work?

Not likely. Dry to dry still won't stick once the glue burns away.

Try wetting both surfaces gently until they soften a bit, score each when you can ... then apply some slip made from the same clay body to one side, then press on the other. This should hold.

Good luck.

Spooze

Powdered clay, Caro syrup[or any cheap syrup], and vinegar.

Might work, might not. This is used for repairing cracks. Don't store it-it really stinks because of the sugar.

TJR.

What TJR said.  I was given a similar recipe from another poster here, Babs, and it works like a charm.

The recipe she gave me also has tissue paper in it, for added strength.  I take the tissue paper, and soak it in the vinegar, then add the clay powder and syrup.  One thing to help the "funk" is by adding peroxide.  I made some last spring, and it has kept fairly well since.  It doesn't smell in the slightest.  It had a little mold on it, after the summer, but not bad at all.

I've used this recipe to reattach pieces that I put immediately in the kiln.  The mend comes out quite well.  I can't say that I've tested its strength, but it holds well enough on pieces that aren't stressed too much.

Amaco makes a very cheap product that works great for this-I cannot recall the name but have posted about it before-if it was bisque ware its called bisque fix but they make a greenware one as well thats much cheaper.

Mark