Newbie Help On Buying A Used Pottery Wheel

ChicagoPete

I am pretty new at this myself. I just thought I'd mention that there are several wheels available on sale at both Bailey.com and Clay King. I just ordered my Shimpo Whisper today, $982.00 w/free shipping. Yay! I have no idea what a used wheel would cost or where you could get one. I just figured it's a life time investment so go for it. I also purchased the small Aspire for approx $350.00. I intend to use that for trimming and outside to throw when the weather allows. That might be an option for a starter wheel if money is the issue. However, there were several other brands less pricey on both sites. Most potters seem to think the Aspire is too small to do much with, so be careful if you are considering that one. It is really small. Good luck !

I purchased my used Brent C ($750 - paid 700) that was advertised on Craig's List.  The wheel was unused for many years and was in good shape.  When testing look over the outside and underside for general condition.  No clay or torn/broken parts or excessive rust or peeling paint.  If the owner keeps it clean, chances are the wheel is in good shape.  Turn on press pedal for resistance or lack thereof.  Listen for thumping motor or ring cone.  While the wheel is turning at low speed look for hesitation or noise from the motor.  Good luck!

I would recommend contacting universities with ceramic departments. Sometimes they get rid of older wheels to make room for new and shiny ones. Brent's tend to last forever and you could probably pick one up pretty cheap. It doesn't hurt to make an offer. My professor gets rid of things every so often. For example, he got rid of the extremely heavy lockerbie kick wheels for free for anyone who could come pick them up. Those wheels are sweet!

Good luck! 

There is always the option to make your own treadle wheel on the cheap (something I plan to do when I buy my own place...someday...).

Archived