Moldy Glaze Storing Glaze

Mug

I keep my velvet under glazes in a sealed plastic container to organize them and prevent them from drying out.

Every time I pull out my velvet glazes, the bottles are covered in mold.

I sprayed the outside of the bottles with bleach and washed all of the labels off...good thing that I had numbered the lids and bottles with a marker.

How do you store your underglazes?

i have tried lots of things.  the tiny bottles are the worst, they dry out so fast.  i used to put the glass jars upside down so the air did not get into the jars.  then i tried upside down in water that was deeper than the screw on threads.  the water was a pain and evaporated when i wasn't looking.  

hope someone has an answer.

Having almost a full set of the velvets, I am cringing at the thought of them drying out. With a more consistent overturn of inventory leaving them set out would be the way to go.

The paper seal they put in the tops seems to almost dissolve, I was thinking about tossing the lid seals.

In a prior post they had said that brushing medium causes mold, may be the cause?

It's a minor nuisance, I was just shocked to see the moldy jars...they did fire well.

Why, I get a new set, almost every year, due to the classroom use.  So the bottles don't sit around all that long.

In regards to drying out, I've seen people post, that they put petroleum jelly along the rim of the jar.  I've not tried it myself, but seems like an interesting solution.  I believe I first saw it on Pinterest... In between the recipes and ways to bedazzle things....

If there are no worries in a year, I should be good to go.

I couldn't stop the mental picture:

There is an open house at your studio, and every one was eating 5 star food, served on Bedazzled pottery.

If there are no worries in a year, I should be good to go.

I couldn't stop the mental picture:

There is an open house at your studio, and every one was eating 5 star food, served on Bedazzled pottery.

Ooooooh nooo.  The closet I get to "sparkly" is a jewel brown glaze I like to use.  I don't allow glitter in my classroom at all.  Though, that isn't so much because of the sparklyness, as it is, that it gets everywhere, and is neigh impossible to clean up.  It's the plague of the craft world.

Archived