Pottery Wheel Suppliers

Diane34

Hi

I'm a first time poster and hope someone can help.

Can anyone recommend a supplier for pottery wheels near New Hampshire USA? I've been looking out for a used wheel for some time now in New Brunswick Canada, but in vain. I will be visiting New Hampshire soon and wish to purchase a wheel either used or new. I've checked some websites but it's difficult to see if places stock wheels or order them in by request, as I've found previously after hunting out and travelling to suppliers only to be disappointed as they only have one in stock.

Thank you, in anticipation for any replies.

Diane

Guest JBaymore

Diane,

Welcome to the forums.

I live in NH.

Only places to get ceramic suppies near here are Portand Pottery Supply in Portland, Maine (Pr down on the south shore of MA) ..... Sheffield Pottery Supply in Sheffield, Massachusetts ..... and Amherst Pottery Supply in Amherst, Massachusetts. There is no in-state supplier.

Not sure whoe has demonstrater wheel in the showrooms.

best,

.....................john

Diane, be aware that wiring requirements in the states are different than in Canada, and bringing certain models across the border is a logistical nightmare. Between ensuring that CSA requirements are met before you can bring it into the country, having it certified by the appropriate people and then paying brokerage and duty, you are better off finding a supplier west of you, rather than to the south.

Let someone else handle the importing: it's cheaper.

Edit: my friend Mariko Paterson in Halifax recommends this place.

dragonfirepottery.ca

Thank you John and Diesel Clay for your quick and helpful replies! I will check out the NH and MA suppliers you suggested John while I'm visiting.

I hadn't even considered wiring requirements being an issue so thanks for bringing that to my attention, Diesel Clay.

I visited Dragonfire pottery last time I was in Halifax :-) Your friend Mariko is right, it's a great place with very friendly, helpful staff. It seems most showrooms only stock one or two wheels for sale. I was hoping to buy and take away as delivery is tricky for me due to unpredictable shift work.

Thanks again

Diane

Diane,

If I may suggest; if you have access to a pick-up truck or van, and there is a freight terminal near you, you can pick up a shipment at the freight terminal, thus taking timing of a home delivery out of the equation.

If you already know which wheel you want, and are familiar with how it works with your style, it makes ordering a little less worrisome.  When I bought my wheel I wanted something a bit upgraded from the art center wheels I was familiar with, so demoing the potential wheels was important to me.  Once you narrow the choice to one, purchasing and getting delivery set up are less scary.

John

What Diesel says is IMPORTANT !!!

Without a CSA inspection sticker you put yourself in peril in Canada.

All electronic devices in Canada NEED to be inspected.

What happens is that if there is a fire, your insurance company can deny any claim since it could have been started by your non-approved device !

Order a wheel from Tucker's or one of the other Canadian retailers. They get all wheels approved and deal with import hassles as well. Looks more expensive at first, but once you get your feild inspection and pay tariffs, you will find they are the same price or cheaper and do not endanger your home insurance!

I live in NH and found several apparently decent used wheels on Craig's List this year, but ultimately bought a new one-a Brent, online. Perhaps the NH ceramics community (Potter's Guild, League of NH Craftsmen, NH Institute of Art and so forth) might be places to contact for someone selling a used wheel.  

Archived