What Is Your Most Valuable Piece Of Equipment In Your Studio?

I guess it's the table I work on ... I have had this IKEA dresser since 1977 and it has floated around my home doing one job or another ever since. When I got my own studio space I moved it in, mounted it on cinder blocks, screwed on a huge piece of hardiback (?) board to make it outsized and covered it with heavy duty plastic and canvas. Canvas has been replaced about four times and I keep meaning to put another surface on it other than canvas but never get around to it. It is huge enough to hold even my largest production runs and is just the right height. Drawers hold all my tools, stamps, molds and sketch books. It has taken a lot of abuse over the years and sometimes looks like it wants to fall apart ... but so far, so good.

I like my Brent model CXC .The bearing crapped out last year after 36 years. I had to hand build[slabs], which I liked, but people buy my pots, not so much my slabs. It was good to branch out, but throwing is my main gig.

Tom.

I love my wedging table with a plaster top. It is the perfect height for me. I made it from an old display stand from the library about 25 years ago. It is made of 4x4s and sits next to y wheel. I put all the goop from throwing onto the plaster and rewedge it to use over again. I brought it to Texas from Montana.

Best height wedging table I ever used.

Marcia

Wedging table, been spending a lot of time on it here lately and realizing how important it is.. Do slab work on it as well as stack stuff on it when its empty.. Ours is a old kitchen table with a leaf in it that has been cut down to 2' X 4' with the leaf in..

This may sound a little weird, but during the last remodel of the garagio, I replaced the solid roll-up garage door with a model that has windows on every panel.  Just being able to sit at the wheel and see the outside world, regardless of the weather, has done wonders for my attitude toward clay.  It also means that I am much more likely to be fully clothed...no one wants to see a potter-stripper my age :)

-Paul

Archived