Small Stuff Sells-This One Sweet Dish Is From Oldlady

I still am not easy with calling her Oldlady but she insists it seems.

Here is a dish she sent me next to a dime as well as a ruler. its one sweet dragonfly dish she sells for 7$.Its a perfect stuffer size when loading.

These smaller items add up fast-my guess is she press molds a image into the clay form but she can explain.

Its an green Oribe glaze.

Mark

post-8914-0-86593200-1413682884_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-78653900-1413682904_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-86593200-1413682884_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-78653900-1413682904_thumb.jpg

thank you, mark.  these are the kind of thing i make by pressing interesting leaves into a thick piece of raku clay and bisque firing it.  i have several of them with a variety of leaves and the dragonfly.  after the "mold" is made, making a small dish takes less than a minute.

roll a thin slab, 1/4 in is too thick, try a 1 gallon size paint stirring stick as a guide. then use a circular cookie cutter, roll over the impression with a pony roller, re-cut to a circle, then shape it with a glass pressed into the clay on foam rubber.  a lot like making christmas cookies. and more rewarding. $

i appreciate being an old lady.  i died on an operating table in 1974 but i am still here.  i celebrate the name.

Guest JBaymore

i died on an operating table in 1974 but i am still here.  i celebrate the name.

And may you celebrate it for a long time to come!

best,

...................john

Hey,

A friend of mine makes slabwork very similiar to those.  She makes "fairy" furniture for her flower pots. 

She'll make something like the Dragonfly wading pool, and for a bright full moon, might make a matching

umbrella and a bench.  Depending on the plant, she might add a hanging bench swing.

She has shown me magazine articles on fairy furniture.

We use the Oribe Green glaze in the Ceramic Dept. at the Jr College.  Its very dependable and consistant.

See ya,

Alabama

fairy houses seem to be popular here.  i do not make them but several of the guild members do.  fun stuff, just not for me.  they remind me of the things a nearby potter made years ago. they were cakes with a picnic going on on top.  all clay, very detailed, colorful, enchanting.  my hand would go numb after the first 2  one inch high teddy bear figures.

i like oribe,  the brownish copper glints in the low places are special.  the base glaze makes lots of good colors other than green.

Archived