Crackle Pots

if i were to paint a pot with sodium silicate then stretch it out to make it crackle, would i need to fire it in a salt glazing kiln? i've heard you need a separate kiln for salt glazing because the salt will penetrate the walls of the kiln and effect everything thing else you fire in it. since i'm a hobby potter and have just gotten to where i can throw a decent cylinder evenly (most of the time), i'm still paying someone to fire my stuff for me. so i don't want to use anything on my pots that will mess up his kiln and the sodium part of sodium silicate makes me a little nervous. and if it will mess up the kiln, is there anything else i can use to crackle the surface of my pots? i really want to try it.

Guest JBaymore

if i were to paint a pot with sodium silicate then stretch it out to make it crackle, would i need to fire it in a salt glazing kiln?

No worries.

Remember that a little sodium sil goes a LONG way in doing this.

And if you screw up the piece you re working on do NOT try to reuse the clay. It is "shot". The sil will change the water chemistry of the clay if you wedge it up and make it really funky.

best,

..............john

Archived