Very Strange Bisque Fire-Or How To Wash And Fire Advancers

Every 4-5 years I grind old wash on about 2/3 of my advancer shelves-I grind tops and bottoms these are 12x24 .At this time I do about 1/2 my posts as well on ends as they like to stick to advancers as does anything mullite made. I also do all mt 1/4 and 1/2 and 3/4 nerds for adding a bit during the stacking.This is a big job and I like to do it when its still warm and sunny before winter. So past few days between rains I got a chance to do it. Mask eye and ear protection a must. I grind the backs to smooth all post marks off.

I then flip them and grind off the wash -sweep the dust and get them hot in sun before paint rolling with roller two coats and let it dry between coats. Then scrap the edges with a scraper  so they are clean. I then stack all into a bisque fire and ver slowly fire this as advancers will blow up if you have them wet and go to fast. I like to do this over a few days-giving them a bit of heat then off and let them sit -then on etc. If I bisque them carefully after the wet wash is dry then I can glaze fire them without worry as to rate of climb so they do not blow up as they are all dry already.

All this is to keep my porcelain from plucking or ticking to the raw advancers .These shelves are the best I have ever had and as I have over 10,ooo into them I take care of them. By now they are actually are free as they have paid for themselves many times over in space savings. I have over 50 of them.

This bisque is almost full-just waiting for some pots to dry for the top. I have a bunch of bisque ware so the next load will be full.

I like a grinding cup on my Milwaukee verbal speed grinder as well as a smaller 4 inch Makita for the light duty edges etc.

This job is a killer and demands a shower afterwards.

I'll get this fired in a few days now.This work pays off for many years in the future and is part of my cycle as a potter. Over the years the shelves have changed materials many times but now these will last as long as me and be passed on to another potter. They are made in an electric arc furnace in a nitrogen enriched environment with no oxygen -just an amazing process.

My wash formula is 1/2 alumina Hydrate 1/4 calcined EPK 1/4 EPK mixed like thick cream.

This amount of shelves are for two kilns.

Mark

post-8914-0-08545900-1413682473_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-85926000-1413682498_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-93184100-1413682512_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-08545900-1413682473_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-85926000-1413682498_thumb.jpg

post-8914-0-93184100-1413682512_thumb.jpg

Lou

I have diamond pads but its overkill for this job. This cup is a Dewalt.

this was from Amazon for 15$-it came today and I used it as it worked well I'm used to a 5 inch cup and this is 4 inch-did the job well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000R92HO6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mark

Yep High Bridge, if your wash is flaking, you most likely applied it too thickly.  I did the same thing, in my first classroom kiln.  I figured, the thicker the better right?....

Like Mark, I mix mine to a cream consistency, and apply three thin coats.  It doesn't come off, until I remove, when applied in this fashion.

Recently, I had a student helper apply the wash.  Despite my instruction, it has been flaking off.  Knowing this student's perfectionist approach to their projects, I can see them applying too much.  I'll have to redo them, once I'm done doing this last batch of firing for the term.

Student helpers are great, especially the diligent ones. They only really have one problem, They want to get it so right to earn your praise doing many things to the point of overkill. With kiln wash overkill can be a headache. Had the shelves done one time in the studio by a student, They washed both sides! I never do that, and never do the edges. She had a beautiful coat of wash on all exposed surfaces, that when I ran the first bisque with them on I found white flakes all over the pots on each shelf. Ground them down, explained the problem to her, and had her redo them with my help. Lesson learned by both of us. Her how to do it right, me to remember to check on a job in progress even when being done by a very trustworthy diligent student.

Those shelves look so thin Mark! Are these the light expensive mummas people write about? So you bisque with no wares present? They look so pristine!   DO you still have to grind your pots?

Yes this are the expensive mummas-Right now they are just over 200$ delivered in lots of 10.

I like to set fire the wash on shelves and posts -I have found for me this makes for less chips falling during a glaze fire if I set fire the wash. This bisque load has about 1/3 space dedicated to wash firing furniture.I only do this every 4-5 years as the wash lasts a long time.

As far as grinding pots I just rub the porcelain pot bottoms with a rubbing stone

I like these from the same folks I bought my advancers from

http://glazeeraser.publishpath.com/glazeeraser-hand-tool

On another note this was never cracks if you apply it thin and build up the coats-I use two-let them dry completly between coats.-I use a 9 inch roller with a (and this is KEY a paint screen in a 5 gallon bucket) the screen drops in and is held buy the bucket lip and you roll off the excess wash on roller with it just as you would if your are using paint.-The screen is a few bucks at any hardware store.

without the screen your roller will load up to thick-also use a thick roller like a 3/8 nap.

I have a dedicated setup for this hanging in studio.

You should use the calcined material to avoid cracks (shrinks less)

Mark

Mark

Archived