Sticky Porcelain Clay

It's what i would like to do, but am not sure if it would be possible. Now I started to press mold it, which works better. 

Do you know the clay body? And do you have any suggestions? I would love to do the slab work with it. 

I've never seen that clay body. But most porcelain bodies are not at all sticky- then tend to lack plasticity. But even the most plastic clay bodies I have seen with are only sticky if they are too wet, and you shouldn't be handbuilding with clay that wet anyway.

When you say it's hard to build with, what specifically is the problem?

I have a couple questions for you ...

What clay bodies have you used before this one? In other words, what are you comparing it to?

"Sticky" is a hard thing to nail down ... can you describe what you are doing and what it sticks to?

Potters might describe some porcelains as 'sticky' when they mean softer than expected, or harder to work with.

Thank you for the replies. 

I have worked before with Limoges and Royal Porcelain. Yes, the clay is very wet from package. When i pull it out, it stays on the hand like chewing gum. When it gets a little bit dryer it cracks (when i wedge it on wood, even slightly). There seems to be a very small space between the sticky wet and the too dry state. But i havent figured out yet how to get that state. 

When it dries, it has the feeling of plastic. The clay body can be fired till 1300 and is very very translucent even in its unfired state while working thin (and you don't need to go that much thin to reach it). 

But working thin without a mold seems to be highly complicated. 

Also when it is dried it breaks much faster then am used to. 

But i wish to learn how to work with this, because if getting results, it is the most fantastic clay body i have seen. 

Archived