Pictures Of Your Studio

Old Lady - I do have mud, I can assure you! See the bucket under my wheel? It can go from empty to full very quickly on a 'bad throwing day'. As a newbie and this being a hobby that I don't get to daily, means progress is slow - sometimes I can sit down and throw a dozen bowls, another day I may only end up with 3 (and a full bucket to reclaim)! As I carve and build on to my thrown pieces it can take me a few weeks to get 12 bowls from start to finish. None of the processes are sure-fire successes, every step is still a learning experience and therefore progress is slow. And as this is a bedroom I HAVE to keep it clean, otherwise I'd have clay dust all through the house, so there's a lot of time spent on recycling, damp wiping and mopping, in amongst the making. Good job it's just a hobby or my hourly rate would be ridiculous.

Having gone through a year making things that got no further than my shelves or the bin, then a second year of gifts to friends and family, and prizes for Lady Captain's Day at the Golf Club, I have just had my first sales - 7 pieces, to friends. I need to get a lot quicker and hone my skills to take it further, but that's the luxury of being a hobby potter. I don't need to sell to put food on my plate, one piece just buys the next bag of clay, or offsets the electric & water bills! Playing with mud....love it!

Pics of my humble single car garage studio are at my blog. Right now things are in disarray as much of renovation material is stored there. I have gotten rid of an old workbench to make more floor space which has been helpful.

WildCelticRose,  I like the size of your studio but how are you venting? Also coming from an old plumber your water heater vent doesn't look like will draft very well and may have carbon monoxide going into your room, it can't be flat or have any dips in it. Check it while it's firing with a lit match to see if it draws up right at the edge of your vent adapter. 

WildCelticRose,  I like the size of your studio but how are you venting? Also coming from an old plumber your water heater vent doesn't look like will draft very well and may have carbon monoxide going into your room, it can't be flat or have any dips in it. Check it while it's firing with a lit match to see if it draws up right at the edge of your vent adapter. 

On that same note, how are you venting your kilns?

Chantay, I have some good shots on Instagram at the moment of those ones on the second shelf from the top. I'm dieselclay there, too. Lemme see if I can figure out how to upload to the gallery here...

My project for Monday is to link up all my social media to each other, and upload some pics to the website.

Edit: check my gallery. This is what I'm doing with my Saturday night :)

Archived