White Crystals On Fired Vase

marshadohr

Guest JBaymore

Basically....... there is no such thing as a cone 6 to 10 "vitrified" clay body.  From ANY manufacturer.  It is either mature at 6 and overfired at 10.......... underfired at 6 and mature at 10 ..... or slightly underfired at 6, mature at about 8, and slightly overfired at 10.

The suppliers sell these 6 to10 thingies this way to keep from having to stock SO many clay bodies for all the various firing temperatures.

BTW...... good knowledgable earthenware potters use non-vittrified clay bodies with glazes that fit and get work that is serviceable for food use and vases and such.  So you do not HAVE to have a fully vitrified body.  But getting that to work is a tough technical road to follow.

best,

...................john

The suppliers sell these 6 to10 thingies this way to keep from having to stock SO many clay bodies for all the various firing temperatures.

...................john

Another reason clay makers have these compromise 6-10 bodies is for studios that have cone 6 and cone 10 kilns: prevents major mishaps in favor of minor mishaps (;

So..... is there a BEST cone 6 white clay body which works well for carving. I am North Carolina, so most of my clay comes from Highwater in Asheville. I can get Standard. I have heard that Highwater clays are inconsistent. I am sure I am not the only carver out there. I want smooth enough to do delicate work.

post-64996-0-48636400-1413832411_thumb.jpg

post-64996-0-87415500-1413832490_thumb.jpg

post-64996-0-48636400-1413832411_thumb.jpg

post-64996-0-87415500-1413832490_thumb.jpg

So..... is there a BEST cone 6 white clay body which works well for carving. I am North Carolina, so most of my clay comes from Highwater in Asheville. I can get Standard. I have heard that Highwater clays are inconsistent. I am sure I am not the only carver out there. I want smooth enough to do delicate work.

Highwater makes great clay, and so does Standard. If you need totally smooth for your carving, you could try Standard 240. If a little fireclay won't bother you, try Standard 630 which is more forgiving than the 240. You could also go with porcelain, Standard 365.

I have heard that Highwater clays are inconsistent.

That has not been my experience with Highwater clays . . . I regularly use Little Loafers and Red Rock at cone 6 and Phoenix for salt firing. I also slake down Helios as a slip at cone 6 (with Mason stains for colors). I carve and also do leaf impressions in Little Loafers as is has no grog and is rather smooth.

FWIW, I also use Standard 266 (cone 6) and Laguna Dark Brown (cone 10) for certain items. And I've found Standard Jack Troy stoneware to be a dream to throw.

Archived